Fred and PatiJo Miller of Cherokee, owners of Earth Works which was involved in the disrupted demolition of the former school building in Quimby, believe that the whole story has not come out about the events last month in Quimby.
"We admit that we made mistakes, but there were others who also made mistakes," PatiJo Miller said.
The Millers plan to move their contracting business to Quimby where the former school is located. Fred Miller was in the process of demolishing the building on April 20 when the incomplete demolition was halted by the city of Quimby because of the lack of a permit and concerns over asbestos. There was also an incident of power being disrupted to Quimby and Washta when a power line was broken during demolition.
PatiJo said that it was their mistaken belief since the demolition was being done by the property owners, that a permit was not needed. She said that they had not been informed that the building had any asbestos, nor had the previous owners after the building was sold by the River Valley School District. Following the halt of demolition, they have been given an extensive report of the asbestos in the building.
PatiJo said that a chimney on the building was undermined to fall away from the power line but the wind caught it.
She said that the Quimby Fire Department had given permission to burn an adjacent smaller building that had been a part of the school and the fire department had been well aware of the intended demolition project well in advance of the project, even discussing possible use of the building for drilling purposes.
PatiJo said that the water department had capped a water line in preparation for demolition.
No specific plans have been given about how to proceed. Demolition will need to be completed and the material disposed of in a manner that meets the Department of Natural Resource requirements for asbestos disposal.