It has been a year since Senator Chuck Grassley launched Operation Military Kids in April of 2005.
Now, the Treptow Legion Post 230 Auxiliary in Cherokee has made this its project for the year.
Operation Military Kids is a program of the 4-H/Army Youth Development Project.
Goals of OMK include:
* Educate the public on the impact of deployment and assist in implementing strategies to support children and youth.
* Create community support networks for children of deployed National Guard and Army Reserve members.
* Deliver education, recreational and social outreach programs to these young people.
* Assist "suddenly military" youth in coping with the stresses of deployment and with reintegration issues when soldiers return home.
* Collaborate with schools and other organizations to create understanding of the needs of military youth.
* Ensure that "suddenly military" youth become a part of ongoing programs offered by schools, 4-H and other organizations in the communities where they live.
For further information, contact Claudia Brown at 225-3449 or visit the wesite www.operationmilitarykids.org.