[Masthead] ~ 40°F  
High: 76°F ~ Low: 54°F
Thursday, May 5, 2016

Times Gone By

Monday, November 27, 2006

100 years ago

Severely burned in infancy, his face terribly disfigured as a result of cleatrical contractions, the lower lip and the jaw joining the flesh and the upper part of the chest, his lower teeth projecting straight outward from his mouth, presenting a hideous appearance, William Barwick of Marcus, Ia., has arrived in Sioux City for an operation at St. Joesph's hospital, which the surgeons hope will eliminate the deformity.

The surgeon operating on the young man will try to make him a new chin and a new lower lip, neither of which he has at present. This will be done by bringing up from the chest the flesh and skin. A portion of the lower jaw bone will be removed.

Some time ago Dr. Natch das Semn, of Chicago, recognized as one of the country's greatest surgeons, and known the world over, operated upon him, but little good was accomplished. As a result of this and on account of the case itself the local surgeons have gathered in large numbers at the hospital to witness the work.

Dr. C. Hustether of Marcus, brought the young man to the city, and as an illustration of the hideousness of his features an incident which occurred early yesterday morning is cited.

While Mr. Klise, of Klise & Nelson's drug store, was opening his place of business Barwick walked into this place. In the dim light of the early dawn the druggist could not distinguish who had entered.

Approaching him Mr. Klise was on the point of asking him what he wanted when suddenly he cried out in fright and dropped the bottles and packages he held in his hands. It was sometime before he recovered. Sufficiently to realize that his visitor was human.

Barwick was burned when he was a year and a half old, and cicatrical contraction set in.

The contraction of the scar, following the healing had drawn the lower lip and chin down so that they joined the chest, also pulling the lower jaw forward, projecting the lower teeth beyond the upper.

The preliminary operation was performed yesterday morning, and this will be followed by another operation so as to set the teeth back.

Morris Is Sentenced

H. H. Morris pleads guilty to the charge of adultery.

Has a wife living here--Parents of the girl he had wronged filed charges

The case of H. H. Morris, who was charged with the crime of adultery, was called to the circuit court this morning. Morris, it is alleged, enticed Miss Blanche Whittmore away from her home at Onawa, Ia. Some three months ago and they came to this city, it being the intention of Morris to secure a divorce from his wife, who lived at Cherokee, Ia., and then marry Miss Whittemore. They lived together as man and wife for several months when an accident happened to Miss Whittemore in the explosion of kerosene in a stove, by which she was burned severely and died one week ago. The burning of the girl brought out a confusion to her mother that she was not married to Morris, and when it was evident that she could not live beyond a day or two Morris attempted to leave the community but was arrested on the train and brought back on the charge of adultery. He confessed the fact that he was a married man and that he had been living with the young woman as his wife. Mr. and Mrs. Whittemore, the parents of the girl, were anxious to push the case against Morris and returned to the city for the purpose of giving their evidence at the trial, which was called for this morning. Morris appeared at the mercy of the court by pleading guilty and was sentenced to two years and six months.

75 years ago

Drivers show some interest in new licenses

One hundred ten drivers'licenses were issued Saturday at the Sheriff's Office. This is the second largest day since the licenses went on sale slightly more than a month ago.

Total issuances now are 2,105 and little more than that remain for obtaining the permits. Altho a large number of the applications have been sent into Des Moines, it will probably be a week or two before the first are issued to person of this county. The permits come direct form the state department to the individual and are not distributed through the Sheriff's Office.

Telephone lines heavy with sleet

Northwestern Bell Telephone Company reports a minimum of line trouble in this territory Tuesday, with only one line down between Cherokee and Sioux City. Sleet in western Iowa is said to be responsible for the break. Speed printer service for the Daily Times was temporarily interrupted until a new circuit was supplied.

50 years ago

The first letter to Santa Claus has arrived at The Daily Times, complete with a small sleigh bell hanging on a braided tassel of green wool.

Linda Parcel of Washta is the young writer whose message for Santa is an early herald of the fast-approaching Christmas season.

In generous expression of this Christmas spirit, Linda also enclosed a drawing of a snowman, bearing at the top the crayoned words: 'I Love You.'

Her letter of request, to be duly forwarded to the North Pole, reads as follows:

'I want a walkie-talkie doll and a set of dishes, and a dycke (bike) with a basket for Christmas.

Love you'

7 Christmas' Queens To Open Yule-tide Season

Seven 'Miss Merry Christmas' queens, each selected by her classmates to represent their high school, are to be seted at a 5:30 p.m. dinner here on November 28.

This event will take place in Hotel Lewis Tipi Room, preceding the royal reception for Santa when he arrives by train at 6:50 p.m., to officially open the yule-tide season in Cherokee.

Other guests at dinner are to be Chamber of Commerce President and Mrs. M.A. Samsel, and Mayor George P. Rapson.

Robert Northcraft is general chairman of Christmas festivities with Sherm Pierson and Ray Brehmer as co-chairmen for the dinner.

Following the gala welcome at the station for Santa, which will include music by the Washington High School marching band, each 'Miss Merry Christmas' will assist in distributing treats to Timesland youngsters.

Representing Washington High School is Sharon Swanger, 17-year-old senior and daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harold Swanger of rural Cherokee. A candidate for 1956 Homecoming Queen, Miss Swanger is a member of the Pow Wow and annual staffs and of Pep Club.

Lynn Hanson, 17, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Gunnar E. Hanson of rural Cherokee will represent Immaculate Conception School. A senior student, she is a cheerleader, takes part in dramatics, is a Mission Crusader and I.C. representative for the Youth Center. Miss Hanson also is a member of Pep Club and D.Y.O.

Washta Consolidated School is to be represented by Caroline Meyer 17-year-old senior and daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harold Meyer. A forward on the girls' basketball team she is a member of glee club and the school paper and annual staffs.

Donna Bezoni, 17, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harold Bezoni of Aurelia will represent Aurelia Consolidated School where she is a senior. A member and treasurer of FHA, she is also a member of Pep Club and is on the school newspaper staff.

Students at Holy Name School in Marcus chose Patricia Sand 17, as their 'Miss Merry Christmas.' The daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Merle Sand, she is a cheerleader and associate editor of the yearbook, 'The Torch.' Miss Sand also is a member of Glee Club and chorus and choir.

Marie Olson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ben Olson of Meriden was named to represent Meriden Consolidated School. The 17-year-old senior has been all-country basketball forward for the past two years. She is president of the Student Council and a member of the annual staff, band and girls' chorus.

Quimby Consolidated School will be represented by Joan George, 17, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Wilbert George of rural Cherokee. A regular on the basketball squad, she maintains a high scholastic average.

Miss George plays in the school band and is a member of the chorus, music and auto clubs. She also takes part in dramatics, the school publications and church organizations.

25 years ago

Barn Fire Injuries Area Farmer

Kenneth Woltman of rural Cleghorn was in good condition Sunday night at Sioux Valley Memorial Hospital in Cherokee after being taken there about 2 p.m. Sunday during a barn fire at a farm he owns 9 ? miles northwest of Quimby. Woltman was being treated for burns to both hands and one arm and for a heart condition and some smoke inhalation.

Four fire departments responded to an alarm shortly before noon, but the blaze destroyed the large barn full of straw bales, some livestock, and milking equipment, including coolers.

The Cleghorn Fire Department was the first on the scene, but a fireman said the barn was virtually gone by that time. Also responding were Cherokee, Quimby and Marcus departments, which contained the fire to the burring pile of bales and kept it from spreading to nearby buildings. A stack of bales and a silage pile did catch fire in places and Sunday night a pile of brush in a nearby grove was found burning, apparently from sparks that blew into the pile.

Firemen remained on the scene late Sunday night.

According to Mrs. Woltman, her husband had gone to the farm since their farmhand, who tenants the property, was away for the weekend. Woltman noticed smoke coming from the barn and went inside where he found the straw on fire.

Woltman drove home to have his wife call firemen.

In the meantime, Harold Medick of Cleghorn, who was setting fox traps, saw the smoke and went to the tenant's house to call the fire department. When no one responded to his knocking, he broke in and found there was no phone.

While driving to the Woltmans, he met Woltman at the corner returning to the scene and together they moved machinery that was near the burning building.

Woltman was burned as he unsuccessfully attempted to remove a cow and four calves from the building. The cow balked, according to Mrs. Woltman, and refused to leave. The cattle, along with an undetermined number of hogs, died in the blaze.

The cause of the fire is unknown, Mrs. Woltman said, and there is no damage estimate.

Electric power to the farm was knocked out by the fire, and Mrs. Woltman said restoration of power is a top priority, since hogs and cattle remain at the farm and require water.

Elevators Weather Harvest

Excellent weather conditions throughout the prolonged harvest season, combined with more on-the-farm storage, have been contributing factors for a minimum of problems at county grain elevators this fall.

Elevators range from nearly full to filled-to-capacity, with no problems encountered in transporting grain to terminal markets. Rail cars are in plentiful supply.

Merle Anderson, manager of Farmers Elevator Co. in Aurelia, said, "Our elevators are full but we're able to handle it. We didn't have to shut down this fall." During the main period of harvest, a couple of trains of hopper cars filled with grain were shipped out providing the necessary room.

"The farmers are doing a good job of keeping the grain (both corn and beans) at home," said Anderson. "The grain was dry enough that they weren't forced to deliver it to town. Farmers are keeping it off the market by on-the-farm storage and putting it in the Grain Reserve loan program."

Cargill Inc. at Washta has about 120,000 bushels of corn stored outside in a specially built hard-surfaced fenced area, in addition to 250,000 bushels stored inside. The dried corn outside will be gone in from six to eight weeks either as purchased by local farmers for feed or trucked to sites for shipping, according to Manager Stan Wubbena.

Wubbena noted that the facility was pretty well cleaned out ahead of harvest and farmers had a good fall to harvest crops.

Cargill hasn't had any difficulty obtaining rail cars for shipping from its outlets, he added.

At the Farmer's Co-op Elevator in Cleghorn, bins are just about full, and all the grain is under roof this year. In addition to corn and beans, there are almost 30,000 bushels of oats.

Together with the new Farmer's Co-op Co, elevator on the River Road in Cherokee, the two elevators have a total of 1.3 million bushels of storage.

The Cherokee elevator has been full since the end of October, with some grain moved out by rail to keep ahead of harvest. "There is a lot of grain stored which we can't ship unless it is sold," said local manager Jack Cronin. "The harvest has gone pretty smoothly this fall."

Some grain will be shipped west, some to the Gulf region and some to Sioux City to the river port, he said.

Fredrickson Grain Co, Inc. of Meriden experienced about a four-day glut this fall when farmers brought in dry corn too fast for his room. About 8,000 bushels were dumped in the ground over a two-day period and it took another two days to pick it up, according to Dick Sangwin, bookkeeper.

He reports about 105,000 bushels of corn either sealed or in the Grain Reserve program. Some of this grain has been in storage from two to three years. According to Sangwin, there are also some beans in storage, including a few from last year.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: