[Masthead] Light Rain ~ 49°F  
High: 54°F ~ Low: 42°F
Sunday, May 1, 2016

K of C starts 15th annual Outreach

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Jan Cosgrove (left) and Calvin Carver (right), co-directors of Cherokee County Work Services, flank LeRoy Rupp of the Cherokee Knights of Columbus. The Knights begin their 15th annual Outreach Project to benefit CCWS and the Special Olympics on Saturday. CCWS is hoping to apply funds raised from the month-long drive towards a project to replace their antiquated, inefficient boiler system (behind the group). Photo by Dan Whitney
The Cherokee Knights of Columbus have raised money for the last fourteen years to help the Cherokee County Work Services (formerly known as the Work Activity Center) and the Special Olympics. 90 percent of the raised funds stay in Cherokee, at CCWS, and the remaining 10 percent goes to the Special Olympics.

Among the projects at CCWS which have been been able to be finalized thanks to the K of C funds are a new parking lot, a new addition to the building to allow expanded services, new washers and dryers, two new automatic doors and two automatic paper shredders.

Last year's drive raised the highest total ever, over $12,000. This year's designated project for the Work Services building is a new heating system and replacing a old, "obsolete" boiler. Work Services Co-director Calvin Carver says the heating system is "the heart of our whole operation," and the expected life-span of the current system expired 8-9 years ago.

The plan is to replace the current system with a R.A.S.E.R.S. system, which reclaims spent heat energy from dryers and washing machines and recycles it to heat fresh water for continued washing. Based on what other facilities have found, CCWS expects to save 55-60 percent on their energy costs with the new system. The new system costs $46,000, but CCWS has earmarked some of the funds raised last year for this project, and they also received a Legacy Grant of $7500 last spring and plan to apply that to the cost of purchasing the new system. The bottom line is that they will need about $15,000 to complete the project. A more efficient system will be more cost effective also, saving money in the long run, and thereby saving tax payer dollars.

Businesses and individuals who donated to last year's campaign will be contacted by letter soon, but anyone who wishes to contribute to the cause may do so at their local bank or you can send a check to the Knights of Columbus, P.O. Box 265; Cherokee, IA 51012.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: