[Masthead] Fair ~ 84°F  
High: 86°F ~ Low: 47°F
Friday, May 6, 2016

Times Gone By

Monday, December 10, 2007

100 years ago

Yesterday was a happy day for the members and friends of the Immaculate Conception church and well it might be for they saw and participated in the opening of the beautiful building which will now be their church home. The services began with the first mass at five thirty a.m. and the second mass at 8:30 and then the mission for the children at three p.m. and the last mass at 7:30 which was followed by an excellent sermon lecture by Father Johnson, of St. Louis. All these services were conducted by Father Desmond assisted by two Jesuit Missionary Fathers, Fathers Boarman and Johnson of St. Louis. The church is especially honored by having with them the former who is the oldest Jesuit Missionary Father in this section of the country.

The afternoon mission was the first to be assembled by the beautiful notes of the new bell and this was the most appropriate service for its beginning as the bell was purchased by the young people of the church. It is a very pleasant sounding bell costing over eight hundred dollars and represents many sacrifices, the diligent work, and loyal spirit of the young people.

The church is a beautiful representation of artistic building and one of which Cherokee will be proud to show as making beautiful a once vacant and unused plot of ground. It is not quite completed but soon will be and when entirely finished will be one of it not the most handsome edifice in the city.

The church has been built by the united and harmonious work of its people and by working together and giving together its people have seen grow into beautiful completion this building which represents the earnest work of their hearts and hands and they may be justly proud of it as will all Catholics and Protestants in the city and country.

The lecture by Father Johnson last evening was an excellent one and though the night was bad a goodly number assembled to hear it.

These two missionary Fathers will remain here for ten days and each day will give the program as yesterday. Every evening Catholics and non-Catholics alike are urged to attend the lectures and nothing will be said in any way to embarrass non-Catholics and taking last evening as a gamble, many things will be said that will be instructive and helpful. Every evening at seven thirty a school of instruction will be held in the basement of the church. This is for the benefit of the members of the church but non-Catholics who are desirous of understanding Catholicism are invited and will be very courteously treated.

The lecture tonight will be given by Rev. Father Boarman.

75 years ago

The official thermometer at the state hospital registered 2 below zero Wednesday morning. It was the first time this year that the mercury has fallen below zero.

Howard Miller of Lake Andes, S.D., formerly as resident of the Fielding community, is a patient in St. Vincent's hospital, Sioux City, having had his leg amputated. About a month ago a horse stepped on Mr. Miller's foot and infection developed.

Ryal Miler, a well known automobile dealer in Sioux City and son of the injured man, took his father from Lake Andes to the hospital by airplane and then went in the same manner for five other sons, bringing them all to Sioux City

Four children of school age were injured in highway accidents during the first 10 months of 1932 in Cherokee county, according to figures compiled by the American Legion in the highway safety drive. A total of 1,540 children were killed or injured in the state in that period.

In 1931 the Legion first sponsored the campaign now under consideration by local units, under the direction of Robert W. Colflesh, then state commander. Shortly before his election a niece was killed by a carelessly driven automobile. Her death drew his attention to the toll avoidable accidents were taking in the state, especially among children. In the Legion, with its 569 posts and 474 auxiliary units located in every town of any size in the state, he saw a medium through which the menace might be reduced.

W. Earl Hall of Mason City was appointed state Legion safety director and under his organization a safety campaign was waged. With the cooperation of Miss Agness Samuelson, superintendent of public instruction, safety instruction was carried to the public schools.

Harding Polk of Des Moines, now state director of the safety drive, proposes to make the people of Iowa a "highway safety" conscious and to make them realize the numerous other dangers which might be avoided. Cherokee county posts, if they adopt the plan offered, will intensify its safety program during the coming year.

50 years ago

Fishing and hunting licenses obtained form Cherokee County Recorder Boyd Silnkey totaled only 157 for November this year in comparison with 389 for the 11th month last year.

Fees paid for 1957 licenses amounted to $430.15 while $707.10 was paid in November of 1956.

There were three resident fishing licenses purchased last month for a total of $6 compared to 19 in November last year for a total of $28.50.

Only 102 resident hunting licenses totaling $204 in fees were obtained this November. During the same month in 1956, 291 licenses were sold for a total amount of $436.50.

Non-resident hunting licenses sold the past month numbered 12 for a total of $185.75. Last year in November, 11 were purchased to feed totaling $115.50.

There were 40 residents "trapping" licenses obtained at a totally of $114.40 for the 1957 season, while 48 sold last year amounted to $77.30. One non-resident trapping license in '56 amounted to $1.80. None were sold last month.



Installed Thursday in front of the Cherokee Post Office was a new combination "courtesy and pedestrian" box for the 'deposit of mail.'

"This was installed in an effort to improve mail service and cooperate with public desire to bring this city up-to-date," Acting Postmaster Paul Hoyt announced today.

The courtesy box is located in front of the post office near the stop signal at the corner of North Second and Willow.

"Through co-operation of city officials, a space has been painted yellow on the parking curb. This enables patrons and those passing through town to swing out of traffic and deposit mail without getting out of their cars, explained Hoyt.

On the opposite side of the box is a mall slot for the use of pedestrians.

The postal official said the courtesy box, is tapped throughout the day, 30 minutes before each dispatch of mail, as shown on a schedule card.

"We are in hopes of relieving part of the heavy amount now being mailed at the depot and of giving the public all the service possible," said Hoyt.

"With the addition of a collection made at 5:30 p.m. each work day at the box at 100 East Main, the box at the railroad station and the new courtesy box. It is my hope to move today's mail today in the businesslike way," added the acting postmaster.

25 years ago

A venerable old Cherokee landmark, the Illinois Central Gulf Railroad depot, will close shortly after the beginning of the year.

Once the bustling nerve center of what was then Cherokee's largest employer, the depot is closing "on or about Jan. 3" because of a lack of business and high maintenance costs for the 86-year-old building, ICG officials and employees say.

"All Cherokee will be is just a whistle-stop," said local rail worker Don Campbell.

According to T. H. Hearst, the assistant division superintendent in Waterloo, the depot will be put up for sale once vacated. When that happens, the local depot operations will be shifted to Sioux City.

He said two ICG train crews working out of Cherokee will be kept because of a union contract requiring them. About a dozen trainmen are currently based in Cherokee, according to local depot operator C.L. Strader of Storm Lake.

Strader said the train crews will continue work between Sioux City and Fort Dodge.

Campbell said a main concern after the move will be what kind of service can be delivered to local shippers. Walnut Grove, Hy-Vee, Farmers Cooperative-Elevator and Wilson Foods Corp. are some of the major ICG customers.

Speaking of service, Campbell said, "If they're not going to get it, somebody should be squawking."

But Hearst and Strader said service should remain basically the same, although shipping orders will have to be placed in Sioux City rather than Cherokee.

Strader did say that rail traffic is "easier to handle' with a local office, and Campbell said new industries would rather deal with a local rail office than a district one.

However, Hearst said it was a matter of weighing the upkeep of the spacious depot for only two employees, Strader and track supervisor Chuck Coyne.

"The cost of heating that thing was outrageously high," Hearst said. "We're heating a lot of space for two individuals."

Hearst and Coyne will make his office in Storm Lake after the closing.

Strader said another factor in the closing decision had to be the general lack of rail traffic. He said grain was the major commodity shipped through Cherokee, and because so many farmers are holding onto their grain because of low prices, business has been extremely slow.

The railroad has been gradually pulling employees out of Cherokee in recent years. Jim Diers, the last trainmaster to be isolated. Many farmers are holding onto their grain because of low prices, business has been extremely slow.

The railroad has been gradually pulling employment out from Cherokee in recent years. Jim Diers, the last Traimasters to be located here, was transferred to Cherokee in late 1981. The Fort Dodge trainmen now oversees local train operations.

The city of Cherokee and the ICG have been involved in a legal battle over whether the Cherokee-Sioux Falls route is to be kept open, and whether a $1,500 ICG surcharge to discourage rail traffic could be collected.

After several legal decisions the abandonment is still pending, but the surcharge was recently was dropped.

E.T. "Biz" Porter, longtime Cherokee railroad employee and local rail historian, said he doesn't foresee a rail depot in Cherokee unless "extraordinary pressure" is put on the railroad to reconsider.

Parker, whose rail career in Cherokee spanned 49 years from 1919 to 1968, recalls the "glory years" when more than 300 were employed at the depot and the roundhouse in south Cherokee.

Parker pinpoints the mid-1920s as the railroad heyday here, when 60 trains went out of Cherokee daily, including 13 passenger train.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: