[Masthead] Light Drizzle ~ 42°F  
High: 56°F ~ Low: 39°F
Sunday, May 1, 2016

KC's start 16th annual outreach project

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

(Photo)
Calvin Carver (left) and Jan Cosgrove (center), Co-Directors of the Cherokee County Work Services are pictured with the Cherokee Knights of Columbus Chairman, Le Roy Rupp, in front of the commercial dryers they hope to replace with funds raised from this year's Knights of Columbus' annual Project Out-Reach fundraiser. Photo by Mike Leckband
The Cherokee Knights of Columbus are currently in the middle of their annual Project Out-Reach fund drive for the Cherokee County Work Services (CCWS). This year marks the 16th year that the KC's have reached out to people with disabilities.

The Knights give 90 percent of the money raised during this project to the CCWS. The other 10 percent goes to the Special Olympics.

The CCWS is a non-profit company that has a commercial laundry, assembly capabilities, a small recycling center, and also makes pallets. The CCWS goal is to get people with disabilities back into the community.

Last year the Knights of Columbus raised $13,000, their highest total to date.

Over the past few years, funds have been raised to purchase two new paper shredders for the CCWS shredding business, a safer walking environment, two new automatic doors to make entering and leaving the CCWS building more accessible to all.

The parking lot has been completed and a new addition was added to make more room of the Adult Day Services and workspace. This service provides a day of activities to persons whose work is no longer a priority in their lives, such as old age and increased physical and mental challenges due to disability.

Last year CCWS used the KC's raise money for a new energy efficient heating/boiler system in the new workspace. The new system reclaims spent heat energy from dryers and washing machines and recycles it to heat fresh water from continued washing. Base on what other facilities have found, CCWS expects to save 55-60 percent on their energy costs with the new system.

The new system cost $46,000, but CCWS had earmarked some of the funds raised from projects of previous years, and they also received a Legacy Grant of $7,500 in the spring of 2007 and they applied that to the cost of purchasing the new system. The bottom line is that they only needed about $15,000 to complete the project. Last year's KC's project helped in the purchase of the new system. The more efficient system is more cost effective also, saving money in the long run, and thereby saving taxpayer dollars.

This year's project is to help in the purchase of a new a 75 lbs. commercial dryer for the Laundry Business. Some of the dryers that are at the CCWS are over 27 years old and take a lot of maintenance to keep them up and running. The new dryers will be much more energy and time efficient.

The improvements made to the CCWS facility allows them to upgrade and provide quality services to those with disabilities. As the Cherokee Knights of Columbus Chairman, Le Roy Rupp stated, "Your generous on-going support is greatly appreciated and is a true example of why Cherokee County is such a wonderful community."

The fundraiser project will run through out the month of September. Businesses and individuals who donated to last year's campaign will be contacted by letter soon, but anyone who wishes to contribute to the cause may do so at their local bank or you can send a check to the Knights of Columbus, P.O. Boxy 256, Cherokee, IA 51012.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: