As it stands, there are 73 business in Cherokee listed on the National Registry of Historical Places. There are 54 buildings that are listed as contributing (buildings that are still recognizable) and 19 that are listed as not contributing.
Previous tenant of this building was C.M. Read in 1870, in 1883 brickwork was added and disguises its early date of the building's construction. The corbelled brickwork is typical of much later turn-of-the-century buildings. This building is the only one in the downtown that uses a rusticated stone for lintels and sills. Other tenants were Lonergan Drug, W. Johnson Auto Repair, Mallory Drug Store (owned by Ed and Alice Mallory from 1948-83), and the Gasthaus (run by Kirby and Ute Hoyt from 1983-90, and by Frank and Jan Morton 1990 to 2002). Jackie and Richard Wittkop are the current proprietors.
According to Jim Adamson, Chairman of the CHPC, the CHPC has presented 14 plaques in all to help mark the historical buildings in the downtown area. Not all the plaques are displayed outside and Adamson will be talking to other downtown business owners to see if they would like to participate.
Members of the CHPC are Jim Adamson, Mick Samsel, Dwight Varce, Dee Gee Blair and Jean Cook.
The downtown historical district consists of a somewhat irregular rectangular area that straddles Main Street and Maple Street, between First Street on the east and includes a few properties just to the west of Fifth Street, and a handful of buildings on Willow Street.