[Masthead] Fair ~ 75°F  
High: 76°F ~ Low: 54°F
Thursday, May 5, 2016

Times Gone By

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

100 years ago

The real thing in the way of a blizzard while it lasted came Monday night and Tuesday. It lacked the three day period of which the pioneers of the seventies are wont to tell, but while it lasted it was fierce. Monday afternoon there were flurries of snow changing during the night to sleet with warmer temperature which is a characteristic of the blizzard. Early Tuesday morning there was quite a heavy fall of snow and all day long it snowed which a fierce east wind sent sifting through every crevice and keyhole, while every little obstruction caused high drifts to form.

The snow blown by the fierce wind blinded pedestrians and horses, so that travel was almost impossible, hacks, drays and deliveries were all taken off during a portion of the day, though a few ventured out toward evening when there was a slight abatement of the storm.

The morning train from the east came in through late and passed on west getting as far as LeMars when it gave up to the piling drifts.

The afternoon train from the east also came in though over an hour late and it too attempted the passage westward and got as far as Cleghorn when it got stuck in a drift and an engine was sent from here and brought it back.

A snow play was sent out and the road we understand was cleared so that a train got into Sioux City about noon yesterday. Yesterday's train from the east got here about ten o'clock and worked its way after the snow plow to Sioux City. Tuesday's train north to Sioux Falls got as far as Rock Rapids and then returned here. It did not venture out yesterday. The first train from the west since Monday arrived last night. The afternoon train from the east yesterday was only an hour late and it is thought traffic will be resumed all along the line today.

Rural Mails Abandoned.

The rural mail carriers got a rest Tuesday and yesterday but went out this morning expecting to have a serious time getting through drifts. So far as we can learn the storm was not so destructive as that of last week when frail buildings and numerous windmills were blown down.

Good Sleighing.

The sleet which preceded this now made a splendid foundation for good sleighing and the jingle of the bells may be expected to be heard for sometime unless Old Sol does an unusual warm stunt.

75 years ago

Staging the sixth local robbery of the winter, bandits rifled the office and basement of Nagle Bros. Produce company Thursday night, taking equipment but finding no money. Robbers have broken into this business house three times within three months.

Take Office Equipment

A stepladder, fountain pens and other articles were taken from the office where cash drawers were pulled out and examined. A number of tools and license plates from one car were stolen from the basement where trucks and cars are stored.

Robbers effected entrance thru the back door by forcing a lock. The door was fastened with a hasp and padlock. Proprietors who discovered the theft when they opened for business Friday, believe it was committed after midnight.

Sheriff A. N. Tilton was notified of the robbery but not called to make investigation.

Previously this season the Pantry lunch, Farmers Elevator and Turner store were robbed. Merchandise valued at $75 was taken from the latter firm, broken into just a few weeks ago.

Three transients, arrested by city officers Thursday afternoon after causing a disturbance at the "flophouse" were discovered to have merchandise believed shoplifted from local stores.

Six pairs of socks were identified as from the Stuart variety store stock and a bottle of antiseptic from Penney's. Source of "canned heat" in their possession was unknown.

Tried for intoxication, Marion Harris of Alabama and Henry Swarthout of Pine Olive, Minn., were sentenced to 10 days at labor on the street. George Jenkinson of Minneapolis, Minn., is being held for further investigation.

50 years ago

Half an inch of moisture was received in Cherokee Sunday in the form of freezing mist which coated Timesland and the entire state.

Mist beginning early in the afternoon hardened almost immediately on windshields of cars and trucks as well as on the streets and highways, making driving difficult and hazardous.

After a high of 39 on Friday, the mercury dropped to wintery readings the remainder of the weekend. Top temperatures Saturday and Sunday were 18 and 20, respectively.

City Hall - When City Hall was located on Maple St., it was also home to the Mayor's office and the fire station. In this photograph, you can also make out the Eagle's Hall next door. and the old City Hall, which is where Victory Gym is now located.
Lows for the three-day period were 27, 0 and 15.

Iowa Highway Patrol headquarters here reported that roads in District 5 were 100 percent ice-covered this morning but sanders were out to make driving less hazardous.

In District 6 around Spencer, highways were 100 percent ice-covered.

The southwestern corner of the state in Districts 3 and 4 was receiving light mist and roads were 100 percent ice-coated.

Taking an oath - In this January 1964 photo, Cherokee Mayor Dale Goldie (left) is pictured swearing in the members of the Cherokee City Council -Frank Witosky (second from the left), Meyer Wolff (center), Tom Boothby Jr. (second from the right), and Paul McCollister.
The Pocahontas-Ft. Dodge area was experiencing light mist and sleet early today on highways already 100 percent icy.

Freezing mist was the weather picture around Des Moines and in southeastern Iowa.

The reading at 7 a.m. today remained at the night's low of 15 degrees.

Ms. Helen Spencer, 40, Washta, was admitted to Sioux Valley Memorial Hospital at 11:30 a.m. Sunday for treatment of a fractured right shoulder.

The injury was incurred in a one-car mishap near Quimby Sunday morning. Her condition was listed as "good" today.

Boys in Blue - Cherokee's Finest are represented in this 1969 picture of the Cherokee Police Dept. First row: Roger Sanow, Ron Elrod, Fred Fondroy, George Ferrin and Rollo McConnell. Second row: Norm Hill, Bob Agnitsch, Troy Valentine, Mark Gustafson and Jim Jones.
Sheriff Carl Schleef reported that Mrs. Spencer was traveling eastward on a county gravel road 2 miles south of the Simonsen Mill.

As Mrs. Spencer started down a long hill leading to a dead end, the brakes of her car failed and she was unable to make the turn.

Her 1953 model car went into a field and rolled once. The sheriff estimated that Mrs. Spencer's auto was damaged to the extent of $400. She was traveling alone.

A Cherokee woman escaped serious injury Sunday evening in one of a series of four accidents caused in the city yesterday by slippery streets.

As Mrs. Glenn Walker was crossing the street at the intersection of Main and Second about 10:30 p.m., a car driven by Dale Carlson of Cherokee slid into her when Carlson attempted to stop.

Mrs. Walker fell down from the impact and received a skinned elbow.

As LeAnn Patterson, Cherokee, stopped at the intersection of East Main and Euclid to make a left turn her car was struck in the rear by one driven by Mildred Rauch of Moorhead. The collision took place at 3:30 p.m.

Another collision occurred at the same time at the intersection of East Main and Sioux. John Laposky, Aurelia, had stopped his car to talk to the driver of another car. An auto driven by Arlene Admire of Marcus slid into t he back end of Laposky's car.

The fourth weekend mishap took place at 3:45 p.m. at the intersection of Second and Willow. A car driven by Eric Carlson, Cherokee, struck the rear of an auto driven by Thomas Campbell, Cherokee. Campbell had stopped for the traffic light at the time.

Damage estimates have not been filed as yet with city police but the collisions all were reported to be minor.

25 years ago

The Cherokee City Council began tackling the 1984-85 preliminary budget--all 90 pages of it--at its special meeting Wednesday night.

The Planning and Zoning Commission's request to study traffic flow and parking downtown was approved by the Council, but going over the budget consumed most of the meeting.

The Council approved the police department budget for $245,301 for the next fiscal year, up from the 1983-84 appropriation of $229,900. Councilmembers Paul Goeb and Aaron Vest were absent from the meeting

Additionally, the Council voted to hire someone to replace police officer Gregory Mann, who has resigned, effective Feb. 24.

Mayor Bob Fassler proposed the Council consider not replacing Mann, thereby decreasing the police budget and also the police force from 10 officers to nine.

"I have no recommendation that we do not replace him," Fassler said. But because budget discussion for the upcoming year coincided with Mann's departure, now would be a good opportunity to make a decision, he said.

Councilmember Jim Clabaugh said that, although the Council has refused hiring another officer in police union negotiations, "I am not under the impression that we have more officers than what we need, and it would be my feeling that Gregg should be replaced."

Council members Dennis Henrich and Leon Hight also spoke in favor of hiring a replacement, accepting the recommendation of Police Chief Norm Hill.

Hill favored hiring a certified law enforcement officer or a recruit with a two-year, associate degree in law enforcement, with a beginning salary lower than base pay ($16,418.47) for officers.

He also recommended $15,000 as starting salary for a recruit and $15,750 after six months on the force or after being certified. The salary would be raised to the base pay after a probationary period, Hill said.

The Fire Department budget, however, stymied the Council. Clabaugh pointed out that the 1984-85 budget recommendations for contractual services were about 40 percent more than last year's budget, and the commodities (supplies) budget proposal about 80 percent more.

The Council asked that the budget be referred back to Fire Chief James Bleakly to be revised and reduced.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: