[Masthead] Overcast ~ 44°F  
High: 54°F ~ Low: 43°F
Friday, Apr. 29, 2016

Holstein woman dies in house fire

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

HOLSTEIN - A 75-year-old Holstein woman and her pet dog died in a house fire Saturday morning after authorities said she went back into her burning house to rescue her dog.

Authorities identified the victim as Frances Ann Fricke-Kiertzner, and said the woman died of smoke inhalation.

"We found her in the kitchen right next to the door, so she almost made it out," said Dan Ehler of the Holstein Fire Department.

According to reports, early Saturday morning, a fire broke out in the basement of the residence in Holstein.

"We pretty much determined that it was an electrical wire that arched and burned off and apparently caused some sparks that went down and started some combustive materials on fire," said Ehler.

According to reports, a paper delivery person called authorities after noticing an orange glow from the basement. Volunteer firefighters with the Holstein Fire Department arrived shortly to put out the fire, but it was too late.

"She just went to get the dog, to find the dog in the kitchen, and that's what her daughter thinks, that's where we found both of them," said Ehler.

The house itself only had minimal fire damage contained to the basement, but Ehler says there is smoke damage upstairs.

Funeral services for Frances Kiertzner are Friday at 2 p.m. at the Saint Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church in Holstein.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: