[Masthead] Overcast ~ 46°F  
High: 54°F ~ Low: 43°F
Friday, Apr. 29, 2016

Estimated 2400 homes left powerless Thursday morning

Friday, June 19, 2009

Winds up to 60 mph and lightning Thursday morning created some fallen trees and many fallen braches, and caused an estimated 2400 customers in the Cherokee area to lose their electrical power for several hours.

High winds - A powerful thunderstorm rolled through Cherokee County early Thursday morning leaving downed trees and branches in its wake. Damages were reported throughout the county and the storm also caused a blackout of power for much of Cherokee. Pictured above is a tree that fell on a home located on Ninth and Main Street in Cherokee. Photo by Mike Leckband
The figures were supplied by Mark Reinders, spokesperson for Mid-American Energy in Sioux City.

The evidence of the storm's wrath could be seen all around town in Cherokee, as well as in Aurelia and other neighboring towns. Several trees were felled, including a reported 20 on the MHI grounds.

Reinders said crews from LeMars and Storm Lake both came to help the Cherokee crew try to restore power as quickly as possible, and by mid-morning, most of the town had had their power restored. According to the Mid-American web site, though, there were still 98 homes in Cherokee and another five in Cherokee County who were without power at 11:30 a.m., about 4 hours after the storm came through.

Power off - Crews from Mid American Electric descended on Cherokee to restore power to the city on Thursday. Most of the electricity was restored by 9 a.m. but several homes and businesses near Bluff Street were without power for several more hours. Pictured above are trees that fell onto the power lines in the alleyway behind West Bluff Street. The trees also knocked over the pole that held the lines. Photo by Mike Leckband
Reinders said that in most cases, crews were able to simply lift fallen branches off of power lines and re-energize the lines immediately. One notable exception, though, was a large pole located near the Fareway store, which Reinders said suffered extensive damage and would require some time to repair and restore power to the estimated 30 customers whose power is directly affected by the fallen pole.

He estimated, though, that most customers were expected to have their power restored by the early afternoon on Thursday. In addition to the electrical problems, local phone service was also unavailable for a brief time Thursday morning.

For more photos of the storm's effect,see the "June 18 Storm Damage" Photo Gallery.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: