[Masthead] Fair ~ 85°F  
High: 86°F ~ Low: 47°F
Friday, May 6, 2016

Times Gone By

Friday, July 31, 2009

City Book Store - Not much is know about this photograph except that the City Book Store was located some were on the north side of East Main St. Pictured above are Fred Stiner, Homer Miller, Gibe, Hank Baker and WM Shardlow sometime in the 1890's.
100 years ago

Mary Gilchrist for more than thirty years a resident of this city died Monday at her home in this city at the ripe old age of ninety four years and ten months.

She was born in Scotland and came to this country in 1819 and had been a resident of Iowa for fifty-nine years.

City Drug Store - City Drug Store was once located at the northwest corner of Second St. and Main St. were the Other Place is today. This picture was taken about 1872.
The funeral was held at the home yesterday afternoon. Rev. Tompkins of the M.E. church preached the funeral sermon.

The remains were taken east on the evening train to Clayton County, Ia., where the body will be interred by the side of her deceased husband.

Mrs. Gilchrist was well and favorably known in this community and leaves a large number of relatives and friends to mourn her death.

Mary Davis was born Oct. 2, 1811, in Glascow, Scotland, and was married to John McAndrew, December 14, 1828. They came from Glascow, Scotland, in 1849 and settled in Clayton county in 1850. To this union were born seven children, Mrs. Mary Whitney of Aurelia, now deceased, John McAndrew, whereabouts unknown., W. D. and P.D. McAndrew, of Ainsworth, Neb., George McAndrew of Aurelia, J. K. McAndrew of Harley, Iowa, and Isabella G. McAndrew, who died June 10, 1867. John McAndrew Sr., died May 2, 1853. Mrs. Mary McAndrew was married to Alexander Gilchrist, March 2, 1855. To this union were born three children, Margaret H. Gilchrist, Cherokee, Iowa, Alexander and Charles Gilchrist of Richard, South Dakota. Alexander Gilchrist Sr., died January 4, 1871. The family moving to Cherokee on February 11, 1877 where Mary Gilchrist died August 2, 1909.

James Warren was quite seriously injured at eleven o'clock this morning by being thrown violently from his buggy striking his head on the hard street and cutting a gash in the top of his head and scratching his face badly. His right wrist was also badly bruised and sprained.

When near the Congregational church one of the shafts came down and the horse started to run. Mr. Warren could not stop it and was thrown out. The horse run to Second St., and then south and east on Main St. Just east of White's grocery the horse caught on a fence and the horse got loose. The buggy was badly smashed. It is thought that Mr. Warren is not dangerously injured, but it is too early to tell at this time.

75 years ago

In affidavits filed in the suit charging Russell "Toots" Leonard with illegal sale of liquor, including in a county attorney's information read Monday in Cherokee district court, witnesses tell of obtaining several drinks then "passing out" and finding when they "came to" that their money was gone.

Leonard appeared before Judge O.S. Thomas, waived time to plead and pleaded not guilty, reserving the right to withdraw his plea to demur to information within 30 days.

Bail Fixed at $500

On defense motion for reduction of bond from $1,000, bail was fixed at $500.

County attorney's investigation and subsequent information followed Leonard's plea in Mayor A. Lawrey's court last March to frequenting a disorderly house. Constable Otto Morton and Marshal Albert Hurd signed affidavits to the effect they heard Leonard's plea. Wm. F. Huber declared he removed one-half pint of alcohol from John Lepper on the night of the raid on "Babe" Leonard's home in which Leonard was arrested.

Bryan Phelan told of purchasing three or four drinks, "passing out" and later discovering that $12, all the money he had was missing. Johannas Johnson bought no liquor, he said, but after two drinks given him at the house he "passed out" and later $5.50 was gone. John Lepper declared he purchased the half-pint of alcohol and five or six drinks, "passing out, coming to later and missing $80 over and above the amount spent for drinks."

Demurrer of defendants in the case of state of Iowa vs. the board of supervisors was sustained by the judge. In this case the county attorney sought to compel the board to provide him an office other than at the courthouse. The demurrer, submitted March 20, was taken under advisement until Monday's ruling.

Hearing concerning sale of property under the suit in the matter of the Exchange bank of Marcus and Edmonds-Londergan company was held but no entry made.

Considerable local talent will supplement the two addresses scheduled for Thursday evening, August 2, at the joint session of Rural Letter Carriers, and auxiliary members to be held in the Rialto theater. The program has been arranged by the Chamber of Commerce in honor of the convention guests.

Part one of the entertainment will open with "Overture" by the Cherokee high school orchestra directed by R. N. Kjerland. John Sparks, inspector of the Sioux City district, will give a talk to be followed by a vocal solo by Darrell Olson, accompanied by Virginia Horr, and a song and dance number by the Smith Kiddies of Marcus.

A second orchestra number will introduce the second half of the program. Frank Burns will present a monologue; Mrs. W. H. Horn, accompanied by Wayne Hurlburt, will sing a solo; Mrs. E. I. Bloodgood and her string ensemble will play.

Address by L. J. Dickinson, United States senator will preceded "The Old Singing School" by Afton Farm Bureau women and a closing orchestra selection.

The Farm Bureau women have issued a call for a parlor organ, needed for their music. Anyone willing to lend an organ for the program is urged to notify the Chamber of Commerce and arrangements will be made for taking it to the theater and returning it.

50 years ago

Roy P. Petersen, a second-year student at Luther Theological Seminary in St. Paul, will conduct Sunday morning services at Bethlehem Lutheran Church August 2 and August 9.

Petersen is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Anders C. Petersen, Marcus.

In 1958 Petersen graduated from Morningside College with majors in the fields of history and psychology. During the past years in addition to his studies at the seminary, he served as youth director at Oak Knoll Lutheran Church in Minneapolis.

Currently, Petersen is taking graduate work at South Dakota University. Mr. and Mrs. Petersen plan to return to their home in Wayzata, Minn, in September, at which time he will resume his theological training.

As a highlight of the summer playground program and the final week of events, youngsters from Garfield and Webster will take a trip Wednesday to "The Barn" near LeMars.

Each child is to bring a sack lunch and a permission slip signed by his parents. These slips will be sent home with the children to be returned on Wednesday.

The Recreation Commission will furnish the beverage for the noon meal that day.

Children are to report first to their regular playground, going from there to the Wilson school ground. The group will leave about 9:30 a.m. from Wilson and return there about 2:30 p.m.

Parents may meet their children there to take them home. Those not met at Wilson will be escorted to their regular playground site and dismissed from there.

25 years ago

Cherokee's police department is among the first in the state to use a controversial weapon: electronic stun guns.

The rectangular-shaped device has two prongs which deliver 50,000 volts of electricity to temporarily remove voluntary muscle control from the subject.

And it has been getting mixed reviews from law enforcement, legal and medical authorities.

The Cherokee police department bought three stun guns, one for each shift, a month ago for $215, according to Police Chief Norm Hill.

"There have been quite a few departments that have gone to them in the state and we felt it's probably a better way to control a combative suspect or to save yourself or another from assault than possibly using a night stick or using physical restraint on a person," he said.

Officers have been instructed to use the stun gun for protection of themselves or another person from assault, in performing an arrest of a combative suspect, for violent crowd control and for violent animal control.

The stun gun has been used once since the department acquired them. Hill said it subdued "right away" a subject who was attacking another person and restricting arrest.

According to the manufacturer of the weapon, Nova Technologies, Inc. of Austin, Texas, the United States Government Product Safety Commission determined that it would be impossible for the voltage, amperage and pulse produced by the stun gun to be lethal of cause any permanent harm.

Effects of being hit with the stun gun for one-fourth to one-half second are pain and minor muscle contractions, according to the manufacturer.

A moderate length blast of 1 to 2 seconds causes more severe muscle spasms and "some mental confusion," Nova Technologies states. "A full charge of 2 or 3 seconds can immobilize an attacker, cause disorientation, loss of balance and leave them weak and dazed for some minutes afterward," according to the manufacturer. Hill said he did not consider the stun gun inhumane.

"It's strictly a defensive, not an offensive, type device, and I would feel that it's more humane to use the stun gun on a combative or assaultive individual trying to assault the office or another than to use the night stick.

"The night stick is pretty damn physical, This is physical, too, but it's not physical to that point," he said. "You aren't going to hurt the man as bad."

Dr. Gene Michel, a Cherokee physician, agreed with Hill.

Although there's a question of whether a stun gun could possibly cause abnormal rhythms in the heart, Michel said it sounded like a more humane way to control an unruly person than clubbing or beating them.

"It's a lot safer than a gun and probably safer than a night stick," he said. "I was glad to see they came up with something that would hopefully be safe and yet make a person manageable."

Another Cherokee physician, Dr. Stephen Veit, reserved opinion on the device.

Veit said he had never treated anyone hit with a stun gun or spoke with anyone who had been hit with one. "So I probably wouldn't be able to help in giving you an idea of what it does to the body," he said.

The device has potential legal ramifications as well.

The manufacturer quotes an unidentified Civil Liberties union attorney as saying, "Even the possible misuses of an electronic weapon would probably be preferable to the use of any other weapon the police might employ."

However, Cryas Farley, director of the Iowa Civil Liberties Union, called that statement "real suspect."

Farley said the ICLU has not taken a stand on the use of the stun gun and has had only six inquiries about its use, all from the media. "It certainly appears as if this is something we are going to have to take a stand on," she said.

Such medical and legal reservations influenced the Des Moines Police Department's decision not to use stun guns.

Sgt. Bill Mullins, public information officer with the department said, "We checked very thoroughly with the legal advisers and our medical expertise. We got negative responses from both."

The department's medical source said the stun gun had not been tested enough as far as he was concerned and he had questions about whether it would cause any physical or mental trauma, Mullins said. "Our legal staff tended to agree with that," he said.

Another major factor in the decision to use the stun gun was the fact that Des Moines is "a lawsuit-centered community," Mullins said.

The first thing people think of when they hear about a stun gun is a cattle prod, Mullins said. "Which is basically the same thing, but has a different connotation in Cherokee than in metropolitan Des Moines," he said.

People in a farming community may be more familiar with the effect and safety of cattle prods than in a metropolitan area, he said. Also, as a conservative community, Cherokee law enforcement officials are less likely to be the subject of a lawsuit than Des Moines," he said.

"We just didn't think it would be worth all the fallout we would have to put up with. I am sure it would be effective," he said.

The Iowa Highway Patrol is awaiting more legal and medical evaluation of the stun gun before deciding whether it should be used, said Major Ted Godfrey, field operations officer for the patrol.

If tests of the device are favorable, the patrol will probably purchase stun guns next year, he said.

"Our position is that we want to give our people the latest, most modern piece of equipment available to them for their protection," he said. "That appears to be one of the best."

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: