[Masthead] Fair ~ 75°F  
High: 76°F ~ Low: 54°F
Thursday, May 5, 2016

17th annual outreach program starts this week

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

(Photo)
Calvin Carver (left) along with Jan Cosgrove (right), Co-Directors of Cherokee County Work Services, are pictured outside of Cherokee County Work Services, alongside Cherokee Knights of Columbus Chairman Le Roy Rupp. The Knights of Columbus have just started their annual Project Out-Reach fundraiser that will last throughout the month of July. 909% of proceeds go to the CCWS. Photo by Mike Leckband
On Sept. 1 , the Cherokee Knights of Columbus will kick-off their 17th annual Project Out-Reach fun drive for the Cherokee County Work Services (CCWS).

For years the Knights have been working to help those with disabilities. Some of you may remember their annual Tootsie Roll Drive that led to a Phone-A-Thon and has evolved into their annual Project Out-Reach.

The Knights will be calling on businesses in Cherokee during the month of September and the CCWS will be sending letters to all the people who donated last year.

For the past 17 years, the Knights have given 90 percent of all monies raised to the CCWS and donated the other 10 percent to the Special Olympics.

With those funds, the CCWS has been able to purchase two new paper shredders for their shredding business; provide a safer walking environment and two new automatic doors to make entering and leaving the CCWS building more accessible for all; complete the parking lot ; construct an addition to the building to make more room for Adult Day Services and workspace; and last year, they purchased a new commercial dryer for their laundry business.

This year's project at the CCWS will be to remodel their restroom to make it more accessible for wheelchairs.

The improvements made to the CCWS facility allow them to upgrade and provide quality services to those with disabilities.

"We appreciate the last 16 years, and I thank everyone for their generosity," said Le Roy Rupp, Knights of Columbus Chairman. "Your gift will be used carefully to benefit of persons with disabilities who are served by CCWS." .

"I would like to thank the staff at the CCWS for all they do" said Calvin Carver, Co-Director of the CCWS. "They go above and beyond everyday in their work."

People can donate to the Knights of Columbus by sending their donations to PO Box 265; Cherokee, IA ;51012



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: