[Masthead] Light Drizzle ~ 47°F  
High: 54°F ~ Low: 42°F
Sunday, May 1, 2016

Times Gone By

Friday, November 13, 2009

100 years ago

A particularly sad case was the sending of Mrs. Frank Weigman to the insane asylum at Cherokee Monday evening. The family lives a couple of miles south of Larchwood and are among the most prominent and well-to-do citizens of that neighborhood. Mrs. Weigman was in the asylum a short time six years ago but was let out apparently as well as ever, and has shown no signs of insanity since until the day before she was taken away. A baby was born a few weeks ago, but she recovered from her accouchement until Sunday their three year old son was taken ill with cholera morbas and died. This shock left her bereft of her reason, and she became a raving maniac.

She was brought down from Larchwood in the afternoon in Geo. Castle's auto; and when she was put on the train it took the combined strength of four men to handle her.

It was one of the saddest sights ever witnessed. The dead son was buried Tuesday.

Mr. Weigman has the sympathy of all in his dire bereavement and the hope is that after the shock of the death of her child is over, she will gradually recover her mind and be able to return home. She was so violent that she could not be kept at home at all.

On Monday afternoon while he was riding with his brother on a load of corn, little Roy Stevenson, the ten year old son of T. Stevenson, who lives southeast of this city, had the misfortune to fall off of the wagon and beneath the wheel, having both of his legs broken, one of them being broken in two places and crushed very badly.

Dr. Hook was called from this city and Dr. Edgar from Holstein and at the present time they do not know whether they can save the one leg or not.

The little fellow is resting as well as can be expected.

Monday afternoon while Don McConnell was repairing a broken gas pipe caused by excavating for the cement gutter in front of the H. W. Petersmyer home was overcome by escaping gas and rendered unconscious.

Don had his head down in a hole trying to adjust a refactory gasket and stayed a little too long before raising up for fresh air. He was picked up and in the open air revived. Don realized the danger of inhaling the gas in such a confined space but was ambitious to do just a little more work and was overcome before realizing his danger.

While the gas manufactured here is not nearly so dangerous as ordinary coal gas it is a thing which should be handled carefully.

It is a great modern convenience and really less to be feared than gasoline but it won't do to let it escape in a close room.

75 years ago

Fire of unknown origin destroyed the house occupied by A. B. Cacek and family, located two miles north and three-quarters of a mile west of Cherokee, Monday afternoon.

Several local firemen answered the alarm at 4 p.m. but found the flames beyond their control. Furnishings were removed by the family and neighbors.

The one and one-half story house was part of the Pritchard estate property.

Extremely pleased with the attendance of over 800 women at the Monday session, The Daily Times looks for all cooking school records to be broken before the close of Wednesday's program. "It was a remarkably fine audience of attentive women," Mrs. Leona M. Jones, demonstrator, said. And the women, likewise, complimented this newspaper and Mrs. Jones. The stage setting in the Rialto theater is the best ever. Prizes are more numerous and the whole affair is clicking in good shape.

Popularity Growing.

Outside attendance, that is, women from other towns than Cherokee, was the largest it has ever been at any one session of any of the six cooking schools conducted by The Daily Times, indicating the ever-widening popularity of the event. Women started entering the theater before 1:00 p.m., and then continued to file in in a steady stream until by 1:30 every seat was occupied. By 2:00 p.m., when Mrs. Jones was introduced and started her demonstrations, standing room was at a premium. A hurry-up order for 50 extra chairs hardly made a dent in the overflow crowd and many women remained standing all through the interesting two-hour period. Over 65 women left when unable to find standing room.

"I hope that all those attending Tuesday and Wednesday will feel free to ask any questions they care to," Mrs. Jones stated. "Please convey to them through The Daily Times that I would like to have them write the questions plainly and I will try to answer them all."

Elsewhere in this issue appear all the recipes used Monday and Tuesday, and to be used Wednesday by Mrs. Jones. They are published principally for the use of those who could not attend the school and who do not receive the official program at each day's session.

The state is colorful with its highly modern electric and gas stoves, refrigerators and other kitchen furnishings. There are floral decorations and artistic posters adorning the vicinity of the foot lights. Tempting dishes are prepared right before one's eyes, and then given away as prizes, along with hundreds of other articles at the close of each afternoon session.

Wells' Blue Bunny - Back in the late 1960's Well's Blue Bunny Quality Dairy Foods had an outlet at 110 E. Cedar St. The building is currently home to Swain Motors Company.
It is confidently expected that Tuesday's crowd and that of Wednesday, will swell the three day total to 3,000. More women than that could not possibly be accommodated, even if every inch of standing room were taken.

50 years ago

Grand jurors returned a "no" bill here Thursday afternoon in a hearing on the shooting incident early Sunday morning which occurred at A. & W. Drive-In.

Rick Reeser, 17, Cherokee, was hospitalized after being accidentally shot in the stomach by a .22 caliber rifle in the hands of John Erlandson, 22.

In "horseplay" preceding the injury to Reeser, Bob Ellis, 22, had fired a .22 caliber rifle at the youth's feet.

The grand jury found that no felonies had been committed and returned the "no" bill.

Jurors recommended, however, that appropriate action be taken by municipal authorities pertaining to improper use of firearms within the city limits.

Police Chief Laurence Schmoldt said today that Ellis has been charged with discharging a firearm in the city limits and Erlandson is charged with carrying a loaded gun in a vehicle.

Hearing on the charges is to be held in mayor's court at a later date ending Reeser's complete recovery. The youth, son of Mr. and Mrs. G. R. Reeser, is reported in "good" condition at Sioux Valley Memorial Hospital.

Big O's - Big O's bar and lounge is pictured above during a Cherokee Chamber Red Ribbon Cutting in 1974. Since then the building has been home to Carey's Café for the past 31 years.

Snow in the second storm of the season piled up a total of 10 inches in Cherokee by 7 a.m. today.

Two inches had been received by 7 o'clock Thursday morning and an additional 8 was measured at 7 o'clock this morning.

Cherokee had the state's heaviest recorded snowfall.

Driving remained hazardous on city streets as well as on highways throughout Timesland and most of the state.

Some School Shut

Although Cherokee schools were open today, the following county schools remained closed because of the snowstorm: Meriden, Washta, Grand Meadow, Maryhill, Cleghorn. The latter school closed for the morning session with plans to open this afternoon if driving conditions improved.

Iowa Highway Patrol headquarters here gave the following weather and road report this morning:

Districts B and C (Cherokee and Spencer areas): Moderate snow, some blowing and drifting; roads snow-covered to snow-packed to icy. Highways between Cherokee and Storm Lake were reported to be 100 percent ice and snow-covered.

District 4 (south of Cherokee): Moderate to heavy snow; roads 100 percent snow and ice-covered.

District 7

District 7 (Fort Dodge area): Light snow; roads 100 percent snow-packed and ice-covered.

District 1 (Des Moines are ): Light mist falling and roads 100 percent ice-covered.

The top reading here Thursday was 21 degrees. The temperature at 7 a.m. today remained at the night's low of 15 degrees.

25 years ago

A question over who decides whether a student's absence from school should be excused prompted a heated School Board discussion Monday.

The question of authority was raised following an incident involving Kevin Christensen, a junior at Washington High School. Christensen was put on detention for an unexcused absence after school officials learned he had been excused from classes for a doctor's appointment he did not have.

Jack and Rhodora Christensen, Kevin's parents, are protesting the disciplinary actions, saying that they had the right to take their son out of school without punishment even though he did not have a doctor's appointment.

Twelve people came to the meeting to discuss the matter with the board. One audience member said more parents would have come, but they were afraid that if they spoke up, their children would be harassed in school. School Superintendent Mick Starcevich said the children of those addressing the board would not be harassed.

The district's attendance policy considers an absence excused when the student is not in school because of doctor or dental appointments, illness, death in the family or other extenuating circumstances.

In mid-October, Kevin Christensen left school for an afternoon after showing officials a note that said he had to go to a chiropractor. Christensen's father said he wrote the note for his son, who prior to that had missed only a half day of school this term, according to his mother.

However, Kevin later told Clayton Courtight, WHS associate principal, that he did not go to the chiropractor, but, rather went to get estimates for repairs on his truck which was damaged in an accident.

Courtright told Christensen that his absence would be considered unexcused, and that he would have to make up the classes and study halls he missed.

Instead of making up the classes, Christensen dropped out of school about two weeks ago.

Mr. Christensen said he knew the note was not true, but that he knew where his son was going to be while he was out of school.

Mrs. Christensen said she did not feel Courtright or other school officials had the right to make a judgment on a parent's decision.

"I don't feel that it's any of the school's business when we want our child out of school," she said.

Mrs. Christensen said Courtright should have notified her when he talked to Kevin, instead of sending a letter, which she received after her son was informed that his absence would be unexcused.

Mrs. Christensen said school officials had already been judge and juror before she was even notified of the problem.

Much of the discussion concerned who decides what a student can do--the school or his parents.

"I don't like the fact that I tell Kevin he can do something and the school tells Kevin he can't," Mr. Christensen said.

Lawrence Lee, Kevin's grandfather, criticized the School Board's enforcement of the attendance policy.

"How do we defend ourselves against the Nazi-tactics you use? It's just like a prison down there," he said.

Starcevich said the attendance policy was developed by a group of people, mostly parents.

Starcevich said the comments made Monday night would be considered when the policy is re-examined in January. Any changes made in the policy will go into effect during the 1965-66 school year, he said.

After about an hour, Board President Joe Lundsgaard closed the discussion, saying the issue had reached a stalemate.

After the meeting Mrs. Christensen said her son was still "out of school for the time being." She added that she felt the board would be "absolutely nothing" about the problem.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: