Iowa High School Athletic Association Board of Control approved the Iowa Basketball Coaches Association recommendation that tournament seeding be used in all classes.
There will be sixteen (16) districts with eight or nine teams in each district.
* The sixteen district champions will play in eight substates, with the substate winner qualifying for the Boys State Basketball Tournament. (No seeding will be used for substate tournament games.)
* The tournament assignments have been made and posted on the IHSAA web site. Seeding will be used to determine the top (2) seeds in each district.
* The seeding will be based on regular season win/loss record (games 5-15) OR games played through Saturday, January 30, 2010. If a school has not played 15 games through Saturday, January 30, seed will be determined on the number of
games teams have played through Saturday, January 30.
* Each school's seed will be determined on their won/loss record in games 5-15 (highest percent of wins will receive the highest seeds)
* Top (2) seeds in each district will be placed in opposite brackets. Once the #1 and #2 seeds are assigned opposite brackets, districts will be split by geography and teams in each bracket will be paired using the seeding procedure.
Step 1- Head-to-head competition. If tie still exists;
Step 2- Strength of schedule--highest per game point average. (games 5-15)
Win over a 4-A school- 4 points
Win over a 3-A school- 3 points
Win over a 2-A school- 2 points
Win over a 1-A school- 1 point If the tie still exists, go to Step 3
Step 3- Alphabetical system: 2010 LAST alphabetical receives highest seed
The pairings will be determined after the January 30 cutoff date. The pairings and sites will be posted on the IHSAA web site no later than Friday, February 5, so everyone will know their pairings and the site of their games.