[Masthead] Light Rain ~ 42°F  
High: 54°F ~ Low: 42°F
Sunday, May 1, 2016

Times Gone By

Friday, March 12, 2010

Maple Street scene Horse-drawn dray lines were prominent fixtures in 1919 when this photo was taken. This scene shows a lineup of McConnell and Sleezer Fray Line posing in front of the John Bower Building on the Southside of West Maple Street.
100 years ago

The booster's club banquet at Hotel Lewis Friday evening was attended by over 100 and the club was organized under auspicious conditions.

The banquet was a spread which certainly spread the fame of the Elliot's both far and wide as first class caterers and the accessories of beautifully decorated tables with its wealth of carnations appealed to esthetic taste as abundantly as did the well prepared cuisine to the palate.

After this feature was over Mayor Molyneux stated that owing to the illness of the chairman of the booster committee, Rev. Howe, he had been requested to act in his stead and stated that a short program had been arranged which would be proceeded with. The first number was a recitation by John Grigg, who gave a character sketch so acceptably that he was forced to respond to an encore which he did clever by charactering all nations.

Dr. Wescott spoke on the subject "Does Cherokee Need A Booster Club" and answered in the affirmative. The doctor being an allopath administered big doses of bitter medicine for the cure of the hook worm condition of Cherokee as he sees the patient.

Piety Hill - This look at St. Paul's United Methodist Church is from the 1890's. This was the second church that was built on the church site that sits on the corner of Main Street and Sixth Street. In the background you can see the old Catholic church, one of the many churches that once sat on what locals call Piety Hill.
The doctor wants the town to wake up and stay awake. He gave praise to the boosters of other days and alluded to things they accomplished but that they were boosters no longer perhaps advancing years make them more conservative which affords the young man an excellent chance to get into the game and the Times is sure the old time boosters who made Cherokee what she is will be very pleased to give such feeble assistance as their hook worm disease will permit.

The doctor had a gentle roast for the newspapers and thought they ought to get up some steam and put big scare heads over Cherokee news.

Dr. R. L. Cleaves followed Dr. Wescott and though he thought the medicine administered by the former a little stern stood by his school and endorsed it. He said that for forty years he had done his part in every movement for the betterment of Cherokee and had accepted the losses which sometimes came as well as the incidental profits cheerfully and was glad to see the booster spirit there manifested.

C. W. North put humor into the situation and made local hits and some of them so pointed as to be greatly relished.

W. K. Herrick closed the speech making with an earnest plea for Cherokeans to stand by the home town in everything. "If you don't find just what you want in the home store ask the merchant to procure it for you before going to Sioux City of Chicago for it."

The committee selected to nominate officers at this point reported as follows: President E. D. Huxford; Vice president, H. H. Toman; Treasurer, W. J. Hall; Secretary, Loren Parker; Executive committee, W. K. Herrick, J. L Ferrin, Wallace Caswell, A. M. Wilson, J. F. Weart, J. H. Sellars and Loren Howe and these were unanimously elected.

St. Paul's United Methodist Church - Pictured is the third and current United Methodist Church shortly after their addition on the eastside of the church.
At this point Jensen took his flash light picture and the room was so filled with smoke that James Payton showed the proper booster spirit by giving in the choking atmosphere a recitation and responding bravely to an encore.

75 years ago

Short funeral services for Harold McDearmon, 39, sub-supervisor for Council Oak stores in the Cherokee district, who was killed near Galva in an automobile accident Sunday night, were held Tuesday morning at 10 o'clock in the Appleyard and Boothby funeral home.

Mr. McDearmon was returning to Cherokee from Sioux City, where he had attended a demonstration for all managers and employees of Council Oak stores in the Sioux City district. The accident occurred about 9 o'clock a mile and a half east of Galva on state highway No. 20.

Robert Stolling, manager of the Storm Lake store, who was with Mr. McDearmon when the accident occurred, was seriously injured.

The car they were driving collided with a truck, driver of which was not learned, on a narrow bridge across Willow creek. It was reported here Monday that neither the truck nor its driver suffered serious consequences from the accident.

Mr. McDeamron had lived in Cherokee for about two years, coming here from Sioux City, where he had been previously employed by the same company.

Following short services here Tuesday, which were in charge of the Rev. R. C. Mitchell, Presbyterian minister, the body was shipped to Faulkton, S. D., where regular services were held and burial made.

Surviving Mr. McDearmon, who was 39, are his wife, who lives in Cherokee and his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Harold McDearmon sr. of Bookings, S. D.

Vandals were at large following the fatal McDearmon automobile crash near Galva. Sunday evening, immediately following the accident, after the body of McDearmon was pulled from the blazing car and taken to Galva, someone stole the left front wheel and the tire off of the V-8 sedan.

50 years ago

Washington High School seniors currently are rehearsing for their class play, "Rebel Without a Cause."

It will be presented Tuesday evening, April 5 in the Washington auditorium under direction of Richard Dustin.

Action in the play revolves around teenagers, their problems and teenage gangs.

Appearing in the cast are Dick Samsel, Mary Ann Miller, Marlys Cowan, Calvin Smith, Gary Smith, Rex Ritz, Ben Miller, Dave Nelson, Dan Steele, Alice Carlson, John Koser, Larry Lickiss, Mary Lou Fee, Jean Mallory, Maureen Ross, Mike Holderness, Janet Ware, Susan Rutherford, Janice Rubbert, Dave Olson, Sharon Mahoney, Paul Schlekamp and Roo Davis.

Portraying members of the "gang" are Dick Orchard, Ed Sease, Sharyl Conrad, Joleen Osterling, Cathy Kintigh, Jack Montgomery, Cheryl Pingrey, Roger Fuhrman, Roger Larson and Jerilynn Hetrick.

Representatives of the Little Sioux Flood Prevention office will be here at 1:30 p.m. Tuesday to take part in a meeting of the Waterman Spring Watershed group.

George Geusher, president of the watershed group, urges all landowners and farm operators in the watershed to attend the session in the mayo's office.

Plans call for work to go forward on the Little Sioux flood control project and the Waterman Spring Watershed, a tributary to the Little Sioux.

Up for discussion Tuesday are proposed locations of structures in this particular watershed, their possible cost and method of financing.

There are 2,680 acres within the Waterman Spring Watershed in O'Brien and Cherokee Counties with between 12 and 15 farms included.

25 years ago

In 1945, they told Edwin Engdahl of Aurelia that the Bronze Star promised to him for meritorious service in World War II was being processed.

They said it would take awhile.

It arrived 40 years later.

Engdahl received the medal last month through the efforts of Rep. Berkley Bedell, who presented the high U.S. Army award to Engdahl in Aurelia Monday.

"It did take a little time. That's typical of the government," Bedell joked at the informal presentation. "Government's slow but it usually doesn't take 40 years."

Engdahl, 66, received the medal for his service in Europe with the 14th Armored Division, 62nd Armored Infantry Battalion, Company B, more popularly called the "Liberator" Division.

Activated in Camp Chaffee, Ark., in 1942, the 14th Armored fought with the seventh and Third armies in the liberation of Europe. The division landed in France in October, 1944, moved north into Germany, liberated 200,000 prisoners and freed 250,000 displaced persons.

Engdahl was overseas 11 months, returning to Aurelia as a technical fourth grade, the equivalent of t sergeant, in 1945. During his five years of service Engdahl, also received the Battle Star, Good Conduct and Civil Defense medals.

After his outfit broke up overseas, Engdahl contacted the commanding officer about the Bronze Star. "He told me it was being processed. He said it was going to take awhile," Engdahl said. "It took awhile.

"We just king of forgot about it in the process of getting out family started and the business," said Engdahl's wife, Hetty, whom he met and married while stationed I Arkansas. "We had tried several times and we always hit a snag every time."

After working for someone else, Engdahl opened his own repair shot in 1950, but shortly afterwards was called back to duty. But Engdahl was relieved of the call and reopened his shop, Engdahl Repair in Aurelia, which he still operated.

However, about a year ago Engdahl read an account of another veteran who finally received his Bronze Star. "So that's what got me going," he said.

He first contacted his division's commanding officer, who referred Engdahl to his congressman. So last November Engdahl contacted Bedell's office.

"They contacted us," Bedell said, "because they thought it was a little bit slow. Most of them don't' take 40 years." Within months, Engdahl had his Bronze Star with his name engraved on the back, along with a Bronze Star certificate commending Engdahl for his "meritorious achievement in ground combat against the armed enemy during World War II in the European Theater of Operations."

Engdahl's service record "had a missing link" his wife said, "and this just completes his service record. He did have it coming and he earned it."

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: