[Masthead] Light Rain ~ 49°F  
High: 54°F ~ Low: 42°F
Sunday, May 1, 2016

Census information for 'Snowbirds'

Friday, April 9, 2010

If you have not yet received a census form, or are a "snowbird" and were away when the forms were sent out in the mail and therefore the post office returned yours as "temporarily vacant," please go to the Cherokee HyVee Food Store or HyVee Drugstore (East Main location) and pick up a form, fill it out and mail it back. These forms have a line to enter your permanent address.

There will be a second mailing in about a week to those who have not yet responded, however James Meyers, local census manager at the Sioux City office, recommends that those who have not yet received a form pick one up at HyVee, complete it and mail it in. The individual can then ignore the second mailing if they get one, or if contacted in person later, tell the census taker that they picked one up at HyVee and returned it.

According to Meyers, if you filled out your form at your temporary residence and returned it, and Iowa is your permanent residence, you should also pick up a form at HyVee and fill it out with your permanent residence information and mail it in. You will not get in trouble for filling out another here, as long as Iowa is your primary residence and you spend less than six months somewhere else.

If you have any questions about the census forms, please call Cherokee City Hall at 712-225-5749.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: