[Masthead] Fair ~ 51°F  
High: 84°F ~ Low: 55°F
Friday, May 6, 2016

CAASA has a new look for the future

Monday, May 3, 2010

The Centers Against Abuse and Sexual Assault's (CAASA) Cherokee Center has announced physical changes in service delivery for the upcoming year.

The Cherokee Center currently located in their former shelter is planning a move to an office location in the near future.

"This is going to be a change for the community," says Julie Schulenberg, the Cherokee/Ida County Coordinator for CAASA, "The current building is for sale. As soon as this location sells, we will secure an outreach office space in Cherokee."

Each year CAASA serves over 700 new clients in an eight county area of Northwest Iowa. Of those about five to 10 percent utilize shelter. The other 90 percent utilize outreach services.

"In light of grant funding shortfalls and service delivery changes, spending over 50 percent of our resources on five percent of our clients didn't seem to be the most fiscally responsible decision. Selling the large structure seems to be the most efficient and effective option," says Rhonda Dean, Executive Director of CAASA.

Victims of domestic and sexual violence in Cherokee County will continue to be offered the same services; the location providing those services will look different.

CAASA provides services for victims of domestic and sexual violence in Cherokee, Buena Vista, Clay, Dickinson, Emmet, Ida, Palo Alto, and Sac counties. These services include a 24 hour crisis line, crisis counseling and advocacy for adults and children, support groups for adults and children, shelter, medical and legal advocacy, school outreach and violence prevention programs, community education and information programs, and professional education.

For more information regarding services, contact Julie at 712-225-5003. For questions regarding funding contact Rhonda at 712-262-4612.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: