[Masthead] Fog/Mist ~ 43°F  
High: 56°F ~ Low: 39°F
Saturday, Apr. 30, 2016

Times Gone By

Friday, May 21, 2010

Heavy hauling Pictured is a work crew on the corner of Bluff Street and First Street as the deliver a large transformer to the Cherokee Substation located north of town. The weight of the large transformer was reported to be 80,500 lbs and this photograph was taken in 1965. Last week's cutline was incorrect when it stated that this picture was taken on Willow Street and First Street.
100 years ago

Last evening while riding on a railroad velocipede going from James to Leeds, Hugh Dogherty and George L. Burch, members of an Illinois Central carpenter gang were run down by an Omaha freight and instantly killed. During the day they had been working at James replacing the stock yards, which recently burned there. Their boarding car was at James but after working hours Messrs. Dogherty and Burch concluded to go to Leeds and procuring the velocipede started for that place. While between these towns they were overtaken by an Omaha freight and in an instant were hurled into eternity. Evidently the men failed to hear the approaching train and were struck without warning. It is said the body of Mr. Burch was badly mangled. There will be an inquest held today at Leeds and the bodies are expected here this evening.

Both men leave families and this shocking accident has saddened many hearts in Cherokee.

This morning's Journal has the following account of the accident: "While running at an estimated speed of thirty-five miles an hour about a quarter of a mile west of Leeds last night extra train No. 240 on the Omaha railroad struck and instantly killed Hugh Dogherty and George Burch, two carpenters of Cherokee, Io. The men were driving a railroad tricycle to Leeds from James, Io., where they had been working on the new passenger station. The accident occurred at 9 o'clock. The bodies of the two men were brought to Sioux City by Coroner J. E. Garver.

"According to Frank J. Anderson, engineer of the train, the men had plenty of warning. He says the whistle was sounded. Less than 300 yards from the scene of the accident is a crossing, and for that place the engineer declares he sounded the whistle. L. M. Gish, fireman, corroborated this statement.

"The two men on the tricycle were not seen by the engineer and firemen until the engine was within ten or fifteen feet. Then the engineer says he whistled and did all he could to avert eh collision. The engine hurled both the men about ten feet into the air and pitched them into the ditch at the right side of the track. The tricycle was thrown forty feet. This was due to the fact that it was caught on the pilot of the engine and carried forward several feet.

"There was no light on the tricycle, and the two had their backs to the train. The headlight of the engine showed up brightly and could be seen for several yards. The members of the train crew are certain Burch and Dogherty must have seen the headlight and must have heard the train. They are unable to explain why the men did not get their machine off the track. According to the engineer and fireman the men did not turn their faces toward the engine, but had their backs to the approaching train when hit.

The track where the accident occurred is a straight stretch for several miles, and a headlight could be seen for a considerable distance. The moonlight was bright enough to have permitted the men to see the train for several yards.

The bodies of Burch and Dogherty were not badly mutilated. Practically all the bones in each body, however, were broken. Dogherty's chest was crushed and Burch's head was badly cut. The faces were not disfigured to any extent and P. L. Livingston, agent for the Omaha road at James had no difficulty identifying the dead men. The clothes were not torn from either body. A watch on the person of Burch still was in the vest pocket. The coat of Burch was found a few feet from his body, but it is thought this garment was laid across the tricycle and was not worn by its owner when the accident occurred.

When the coroner arrived the bodies of the two men lay in the ditch. Burch's face was thrown flat against the side of the bank. Dogherty lay lower down the embankment but only a few feet from Burch. Dr. Garver examined both bodies as he arrived and pronounced them lifeless.

The bodies were put on the train and hurried to Sioux City. After striking the men the train stopped and backed up. It then went to Leeds, where word was telephoned to Coroner Garver. When the coroner reached Leeds the train ran to the scene of the accident.

75 years ago

Russell (Toots) Leonard was placed in the county jail Monday night to answer larceny charges after being returned by Sheriff A. N. Tilton from Glasgow, Mont., where he was arrested by Sheriff A. G. Fassett.

Four days after Sheriff Tilton received word from the Montana officer that Leonard was in custody and waived extradition, he had made the trip to Montana and back and had his prisoner in jail.

Leonard is faced with two alternatives. He may waive to the grand jury and stand trial when September term of district court convenes here, or he may plead guilty to county attorney's information and be tried at an adjourned day session.

Charges against Leonard were brought by Jim Noonan following an alleged robbery April 26 of traveler's checks and money. The case was first heard in the court of a local justice of the peace.

When an attempt was made by county officers to locate Leonard for questioning, he was not to be found. He was later traced to Fargo, N. D., where it was found he had left a short time before for Montana.

Four Day Trip

Authorities at Glasgow were notified and the arrest made. Sheriff Tilton received telegrams last Friday telling of the arrest and left Friday afternoon to bring Leonard back. The trip was made in four days. Only difficulty Tilton said was in bad condition of some roads.

Leonard has lived in Cherokee for many years. Last year he was held in larceny case brought by the state. At the time, however, he was acquitted on a directed verdict.

With the account of a serious automobile accident at Whiting corner Tuesday noon before them, and with memories of many other bad smashups in the vicinity still in their minds, members of the county board of supervisors Tuesday passed a resolution urging construction of a round corner at that point.

The resolution, which was approved by all members of the county board, was sent to the state highway commission. It was said the board has asked for this improvement for some time, but Tuesday's accident made the request more timely.

None of the four persons involved in the accident Tuesday is in critical condition, their physicians at Sioux Valley hospital reported Wednesday morning.

Four persons were involved in the accident, which occurred shortly before noon at the Whiting corner five miles east of Cherokee. After the two cars collided, occupants were rushed to the local hospital by passersby.

Max H. Studer, deputy sheriff of Cerro Gordo county, ahs chest injuries; Mrs. Studer sustained five broken ribs. Occupants of the other car, representatives of an oil company at Sioux Falls, S. D., also escaped with few injuries, Wednesday's report showed.

J. B. Daly has a knee injury and Carl Toelberg's head was hurt. Toelberg also sprained an ankle.

All of the victims are expected to recover, attendants at the hospital reported. There were minor cuts and bruises that were being treated along with other injuries. Both cars were badly damaged and were brought to a Cherokee garage.

50 years ago

The traditional Memorial Day weekend is just around our vacation corner.

And for Cherokee, that means the annual Barnes Championship Rodeo is due back for another grand scale performance.

The dates, of course, are May 28-30, inclusive--three days and three shows--all at the Rafter B Bar grounds north of Cherokee on Highway 59.

Perhaps Bob Barnes, producer of the Barnes Rodeo, does not have to remind outdoor fans of the coming dates. They've also become a near tradition for rodeo-going families in Iowa's Northwest.

But there are some new features this year that will delight all.

Free Barbeque

Come get you new appliances - The Cherokee Cost to Coast store was a great place for folks to come and check out what's new in appliances.
One of the innovations at the Barnes Rodeo will be a big free barbeque Saturday night, May 28 at the rodeo grounds.

The barbeque will be served free of charge to all rodeo fans between 6 and 7 o'clock on the grounds at Rafter B Bar. Barnes said the barbeque will be prepared in specially made barbeque pit at B Bar.

Another top flight feature will be the appearance of well known rodeo clown Buddy Heaton here. Heaton, renowned for his efforts as a burlesque bullfight, has appeared at all major rodeos--including Calgary and Cheyenne.

Barnes reminded that rodeo performances will go at 8 p.m. on May 28 and at 2 p.m., on both May 29 and 30.

--- - -

Seniors of Quimby Community School took a trip to Omaha and Council Bluffs Friday on an annual "skip day."

Leaving early Friday morning the group stopped first at the 789th A. C. and W. Squadron Air Control Rader Center near Omaha and were taken on a conducted tour.

Following a tour of a potato chip factory in Council Bluffs, the class had lunch in that city, and then visited the Iowa School for the Deaf there.

During the afternoon, they also toured Boys Town, Neb. Dinner Friday evening in Omaha was followed by a visit to Playland, a Council Bluffs amusement park.

The 23 seniors were accompanied by Principal Jerome McDermott, senior sponsor Mrs. McDermott, Jack Mann of the faculty, Mrs. Ernest Carstens, Mrs. Bill King and Mrs. Barbara Griggs. Three members of the class of 1960 were unable to make the trip.

25 years ago

The Cherokee Area Archives, Inc. is eyeing the old city jail as a permanent location for materials now held by the organization.

While the City Council has approved the use of the building by the Archives, the group must assure the Cherokee Public Library that despite its proximity, the library would be making no commitment to staff the Archives, said Dr. Don Koser, president of the archives group.

The building has been empty since the police moved its headquarters to the new Law Enforcement Center. The facility has heating and air conditioning and about 400 square feet of space. The city would give the Archives the use of the building, and there are a few parking areas nearby.

Theoretically, the building is available. The south half could be used as is using the alley entrance.

Ideally, however, there could be an entrance from Maple Street, a project which would involve expense to the organization, Koser said.

The Archives is seeking a permanent location, having been operated out of the home of Marguerite Whiting for several years. While no action has yet been taken, the former jail is the only property ever seriously considered for the project.

Cherokee County is "historically orientated," said Koser, speaking to about two dozen people at the Sanford Museum Thursday night.

The Cherokee County Historical Society based in Cleghorn is the oldest of the local groups, dating back to the turn of the century, he said.

"It is typical of historic organization," said Koser. "They are active and strong for a period of time, then die, and are revived again later."

The genealogical group at the Cherokee Public Library contains records from the courthouse, including births, deaths and other legal matters. Most people interested in their family backgrounds consult that group first because of it complete information. The city supports the organization through tax money, said Koser.

Another facility offering historical data is the Sanford Museum, founded about 25 years ago. Koser said that while the facility should be used more often, it has frequently received family belongings more appropriately maintained by other organizations.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: