[Masthead] Overcast ~ 46°F  
High: 54°F ~ Low: 43°F
Friday, Apr. 29, 2016

Country Club cart shed ravaged by fire: 25 golf carts destroyed or damaged in Monday night blaze

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The State Fire Marshal continues to investigate a Monday night fire that destroyed about half of a 196-foot long golf cart shed at the Cherokee Golf & Country Club.

The Cherokee Fire & Rescue received the alarm at 8:15 p.m. and firefighters were on the scene for about two hours extinguishing the blaze that billowed a large black smoke cloud into the July sky.

(Photo)
Intense flames blast through the roof and siding of a golf cart shed at the Cherokee Golf & Country Club Monday night. Cherokee Fire & Rescue was on the scene for more than two hours battling the blaze, which destroyed half the 196-foot shed, 11 carts and damaged 14 others. Photo by Danielle Hansen
Firefighters battled the blaze from the exterior and did not enter the building due to the many gas and electric golf carts parked inside.

According to the Fire Department, 11 golf carts were totally destroyed and another 14 were damaged from light to severe.

The entire south half of the 28 X 196 building was destroyed, the sheet metal melting and disintegrating, and the wooden roof section rafters and framing members burning through and tumbling to the ground.

Cherokee Fire & Rescue personnel said the temperature has to reach a minimum of 1,500 degrees fahrenheit to burn sheet metal.

According to Scott Weber of Central Insurance at Central Bank in Cherokee, which holds the policy on the building, his company was still undergoing the preliminary stages in investigating the fire and no dollar figures were available at this time.

Originally built in 1972, the north half of that same Country Club cart shed near the entrance to the Club burned about 12 years ago, also destroying many carts and golf equipment. That fire was caused by a a parked cart's electrical malfunction. A new addition was then constructed to replace the burned portion.

State Fire Marshall Jeff Cullen was in Cherokee Tuesday morning to investigate the fire, but was called suddenly back to Ames for an alleged pipe bomb scare and told local Fire & Rescue personnel he would report his findings back to them at a later date.

Cherokee Fire Chief Gary Chase was out of town Tuesday afternoon and unavailable for comment.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: