[Masthead] Overcast ~ 44°F  
High: 54°F ~ Low: 43°F
Friday, Apr. 29, 2016

Residential fire destroys home on Locust Street House and contents a total loss

Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Cherokee Fire and Rescue Unit responded to a house fire at 316 W. Locust St. on Monday at 8:20 a.m. The department was on the scene until 1:45 p.m.

A fire at 316 W Locust St. on Monday resulted in total loss for one Cherokee family. Cherokee Fire and Rescue battled the blaze for several hours to contain the fire, but the house and its contents were completely destroyed. The family is asking for help from the community. Photo by Mike Leckband
Doug Gochenour of the Cherokee Fire and Rescue stated, "This was a tough fire to fight and contain."

Gochenour said that the fire started on the first floor of the home and spread to the basement. At that point the blaze reached the sidewalls of the house and effectively acted like a chimney and quickly spread throughout the house.

Gochenour described that situation was bad for firefighters and was unsafe to enter the residence due to the floors not being stable.

The department had to stay on site for several hours to contain a couple of flare-ups. "It was a bad deal all around," commented Gochenour.

The exact cause has yet to be determined, however Gochenour thought that an electrical heater on the floor might have caused the fire.

Gochenour said the house and contents were a total loss.

Barb Cresap is listed at the homeowner and her son B.J. also resides at that residence, along with several family pets that did not survive the fire.

The Cresap family released a statement to the Chronicle Times saying that the family would greatly appreciate donations from the community in this time of need.

They lost their home of 27 years. An account for donations is available at Valley Bank & Trust in Cherokee, along with local stores.

They would like to thank the community for its help and support in this time of need.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: