AMES -- High school students interested in cattle and beef production took home $7,650 in scholarships from the recent Beef Scholarship Extravaganza organized and hosted by the Iowa Cattlemen's Foundation. Twenty-four students representing 10 teams took part in the event held at Iowa State University. Students were challenged to demonstrate their skills and knowledge in beef and cattle production management.
The Denison FFA team of Aaron Baughmann and Lucas Deiber won the top award. Each of the winners receives a $1500 scholarship, sponsored by Land O Lakes. Their scholarships, and those awarded to other place winners are eligible for matching dollars at Iowa State University and five Iowa community colleges: Kirkwood, Hawkeye, Muscatine, Des Moines Area, and Iowa Lakes.
Other team winners of scholarships are: 2nd place and $1,125 each - Tara Gray and Tyler Beenken, Tama County Beef; 3rd place and $500 each - Elizabeth Tabor, Haven Miller and Grant Lapke, Maquoketa FFA; and 4th place and $300 each - Zach Post, Samantha Berg and Evan Koep, Southwest Minnesota (Pipestone). Their scholarship awards were sponsored, respectively, by Farm Credit Services of America, the Iowa Beef Breeds Council, and the Iowa Cattlemen's Foundation.
Team scoring took place at 10 different stations that tested specific skills and knowledge of the students. Teams scoring the highest number of points at each station were also awarded plaques sponsored by Farm Credit Services of America. They were:
* Handling and Health - Elizabeth Tabor, Haven Miller and Grant Lapke, Maquoketa FFA
* Nutrition - Aaron Baughmann and Lucas Deiber, Denison FFA
* Marketing -- (tie) Aaron Baughmann and Lucas Deiber, Denison FFA; and Matt Lyon, Molly Davison, and Kaleb Marshall, Maquoketa FFA
* Seedstock Merchandising - Elizabeth Tabor, Haven Miller and Grant Lapke, Maquoketa FFA
* Keep/Cull Replacement Heifers - Samantha Claussen and Tom Buresh, Denison FFA
* Job Interview - Erin Steele, Caitlin Paulsen, Ethan Miller, CAM FFA
* Industry Issues - Zach Post, Samantha Berg and Evan Koep, Southwest Minnesota
* Reproduction - Erin Steele, Caitlin Paulsen, Ethan Miller, CAM FFA
* Credit and Finance- Aaron Baughmann and Lucas Deiber, Denison FFA
* Beef Management -- Alex Harm and Colin Krajicek, Denison FFA
The Iowa Cattlemen's Foundation sponsors several scholarship and learning opportunities for young people. Find out more by visiting their website www.iowacattlemensfoundation.org.