[Masthead] Overcast ~ 47°F  
High: 54°F ~ Low: 43°F
Friday, Apr. 29, 2016

Supervisors reduce speed limit on 480th Street

Friday, July 15, 2011

The Cherokee County Board of Supervisors on Tuesday approved, in a unanimous roll call vote, adopting a resolution to reduce the speed limit from 50 mph to 25 mph on a 1,800 foot section of 480th Street (also named Section Street) that leads into and out of the City of Marcus.

Cherokee County Engineer Dave Shanahan brought the request from residents near that section of road to the Board after the residents requested the change to the Marcus City Council.

Both Cherokee County and the City of Marcus jointly own the road that in recent years had its blacktop removed and was turned back into a gravel road.

The road has seen an increase in heavy truck traffic and residents are concerned due to the fact that they have children and would like to see the traffic slow down.

Shanahan also requested Board Chairman Jeff Simonsen to sign an agreement for federal aid funding. That agreement will allow the county to use up to 80 percent of federal funds for the C66 bridge project. That bridge is located west of the City of Washta.

Cherokee Area Economic Development Corporation Director Mark Buschkamp was next on the Board's agenda on Tuesday. The Board appointed Becky Patterson as the Cherokee County Representative onto the CAEDC Board.

In other business the Board heard from Cherokee County Recorder Dawn Jones Coombs who presented her office's quarterly revenue report. Coombs reports that the county has collected $18,085 in funds and $30,797 in State funds as of the end of the June 30.

Barb Staver of the Cherokee County Sheriff's Department presented the Board with the Sheriff's Department quarterly revenue report. As of June 30 a total of $23,879 in revenue was reported.

Cherokee County Treasure Hedgie Brandt presented her June 30 semi annual cash report to the Board. Her report stated that the Treasure's office has $8,322,710 on hand.

Human Resources Director Kristi Petersen addressed the Board to request that County offer free counseling services for county employees who have recently suffered traumatic events.

She stated that it would be a good policy for employees who are going through hard times. The Board took no action at this time on Petersen's request.

The Board also approved an amendment with its agreement with the Cherokee Aviation Authority. The new amendment would change the language in that agreement to approve 60 percent of monies paid to the CAA to move to its operating and maintenance budget and the remaining 40 percent to go towards capital improvements projects at the Cherokee Airport.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: