[Masthead] Fair ~ 60°F  
High: 63°F ~ Low: 43°F
Monday, May 2, 2016

Fire damages building at Wetherell Manufacturing

Thursday, October 20, 2011

CLEGHORN - A fire at Wetherell Manufacturing in Cleghorn caused "moderate" damage to a warehouse early Tuesday morning at approximately 6:30 a.m.

Volunteer fire crews from Cleghorn, Meriden, and Marcus responded to the fire. Cleghorn Fire Chief Dan Pingel stated that the cause of the fire is believed to be started by a welder's torch Monday night that may have given off sparks and smoldered in insulation and eventually caught on fire early Tuesday morning.

Pingel also added "The insulation is an older style insulation that sat and built up heat over night and eventually did light into flame."

No injuries were reported and the fire forced the business to close on Tuesday because of an electrical power outage due to the fire damaging electrical wiring in the warehouse.

According to a spokesman, Wetherell Manufacturing was open for business Wednesday.

"We were able to get to it in a hurry and get the fire out, otherwise things could have been a lot worse," noted Pingel. "We cut into the steel siding and got at the fire. There's a lot of equipment and flammable materials (paint) and it could have been a lot worse, but we got to it before it had a chance to spread."

According to Chief Pingel, the fire was confined to the north quonset building housing fabrication, paint shop, and various welding stations. An employee arriving about 6 a.m. saw smoke billowing out of the building and summoned the fire department. Pingel said the Cleghorn and Meriden Fire Departments are mutual aid and both are alerted and respond simultaneously.

The Marcus Fire Department was summoned about 9:30 a.m. for firefighters to use their infra-red camera that detects possible hot spots that could later ignite again.

Wetherell Manufacturing is the maker of farm equipment, hydraulic cylinders, and sprayers.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: