[Masthead] Fog/Mist ~ 44°F  
High: 56°F ~ Low: 39°F
Saturday, Apr. 30, 2016

Washta men injured in fiery crash and aftermath

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

WASHTA - An accident Friday night led to one Washta man being life-flighted to Sioux City because of serious injuries and another man, a Washta firefighter who was directing traffic at the scene of the accident, being sent to Cherokee Regional Medical Center for injuries he incurred after being struck by a vehicle at the scene.

According to an Iowa State Patrol crash report, at 6:29 p.m. on Friday. Shannon Zupp, 43, of Washta, tried to pass a Dodge Ram pickup truck, driven by Seth Schlenger, 34, of Washta, while driving north on Iowa Highway 31, south of Washta. The truck turned west onto 655th Street and sideswiped Zupp's Chevrolet Impala.

The impact sent both vehicles into the ditch, the report stated, where Zupp's car then went over a culvert and started on fire.

Washta Assistant Fire Chief Jamie DeWitt said people at the scene helped Zupp from his burning vehicle.

Also according to the Iowa State Patrol report, Zupp was flown by helicopter to Mercy Medical Center in Sioux City. A hospital official said Saturday that Zupp and his family requested that information not be released about his condition.

A third vehicle, a Pontiac Grand Prix, was traveling in the southbound lane on Iowa Highway 31 and driven by Wendy Wallace, 34, of Washta, hit a tire which was rolling across the road. Neither Schlenger or Wallace were injured, according to the Iowa Highway Patrol report.

According to the Cherokee Sheriff's report, The Washta Fire Department had been called to the scene of the accident, and while Washta fireman Jerry Townsend, 43, was standing on the roadway directing traffic, a vehicle driven by Becky Hullinger, 51, Correctionville, was traveling north on Highway 31, approaching the scene of the accident, and did not see Townsend, striking him with the right front side of her vehicle. According to authorities, Townsend was transported to Cherokee Regional Medical Center for evaluation of injuries, and Hullinger's vehicle sustained minor damage. Townsend was released from the hospital on Friday night.

Authorities say that the incidents remain under investigation.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: