[Masthead] Overcast ~ 46°F  
High: 47°F ~ Low: 40°F
Saturday, Apr. 30, 2016

Times Gone By

Friday, February 24, 2012

100 years ago

No. 51, Illinois Central Sioux City night freight is badly wrecked at Remsen, the result of a collision with an extra which had not wholly cleared the track. Engineer Warner and Fireman Nash of 51 saw that a collision was inevitable and jumped off.

Both are reported hurt but there are different versions as to the extent of the injuries. Some reports are that they are seriously injured while others are to the effect that their injuries are not serious.

Train travel hazards- Here is a look at an Illinois Central wreck near Hills, Minn. The train wreck happened while the train was heading to Sioux Falls, S.D. in 1923. This demonstrates the hazards of train travel in the early Twentieth Century.
The locomotive on 51 and a number of cars on this train and on the extra are badly demolished. The wrecking train left here this morning and it is expected to take most of the day to clear the track.

The Flyer this morning was routed to Sioux City via Sheldon and all other trains will take this route until the track is cleared.

Yesterday morning Miss Georgia Heymer had a narrow escape from death by falling through a trap door to the basement of her home and at first it was feared that she had sustained very serious injuries to her neck.

She had entered the pantry when her brother, Ray, who did not know she was in the pantry, opened the trap door and went to the basement to fix the furnace fire. Georgia emerging from the pantry stepped through the opening and was precipitated to the basement.

Luckily Ray was at the foot of the stairs pulling on his furnace gloves and caught his sister as she fell, breaking the force of the fall. Dr. P. B. Cleaves was called and from such examination as he was able to make does not think that Miss Heymer has suffered permanent injuries.

She remained in a partial stupor during the day but rallied somewhat towards evening and this morning is reported greatly better and it is hoped that she has escaped the feared injury to neck of spine.

75 years ago

Miss Edra Dahlin, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. T. Dahlin, has been doubly honored by state and national D.A.R. organizations by being invited to be page at the state and national D.A.R. conventions this spring.

Is D.A.R. Member

Miss Dahlin, herself a D.A.R. and daughter of the regent of Pilot-Rock chapter, was appointed by Mrs. William A. Becker, national president general, to act as page at the national congress to be held April 19 to 23 at Washington, D. C. In addition to the sessions of the congress she will attend with other pages a reception at the white house and the pages' ball.

Mrs. Imogen B. Emery, Iowa regent, issued Miss Dahlin's appointment as page to the state conference to be held March 8, 9 and 10 at Hotel Fort Des Moines, at Des Moines. At 10:30 o'clock the morning of March 8 she will attend a pages' conference at the hotel where she will be assigned to some officer. The page's duties are to run errands for the officer to whom she is assigned, deliver flowers, carry messages and any similar task. "Courtesy and Service" is the pages' watchword, Miss Dahlin said.

Traveled Widely

Her experiences at the conference and in Washington will be interesting additions to many Miss Dahlin, a seasoned traveler, has enjoyed. She has traveled all over the United States, to the east coast, the west coast, to the Gulf of Mexico, when she attended a Mardi Gras in New Orleans, spent two summers in Yellowstone National park, and year in Europe.

She studied at the University of Iowa, where she received her B.A. degree, and Columbia university, where she took her M.A., at Northwestern university and in France at the Alliance Françoise.

Last year she was engaged in administration work in a large grade school at Tarrytown-on-Hudson, N.Y.

Miss Dahlin's appointments to the D.A.R. conventions offices are unusual in that both have come to her unsolicited.

Bids will be received by the state highway commission Tuesday March 2, for paving as well as for construction of bridges and culverts on primary No. 143 connecting the town of Marcus with primary No. 5 one mile south of that town. Contracts will be awarded the following day.

Paving will extend 1,805 miles and will involve the following; 18,766 cubic yards of excavation; 19,098.3 square yards of concrete paving; 2 type A flumes; 6 type B flumes; 60 lin. Feet 15-inch concrete entrance pipe; 40 lin. Feet 18-inch concrete entrance pipe; 20 lin. Feet 24-inch concrete entrance pipe; 682 square feet concrete cross walk, 96 lin. Feet 18-inch reinforced concrete pipe, and 9,520.7 lin. feet earth shoulders.

Bridge and culverts contracts will include the following; 12 reinforced concrete pipe culverts and 2 reinforced concrete box culvert extensions, involving: 188 lin. Feet of 18-inch reinforced concrete pipe; 282 lin. feet 24-inch reinforced concrete pipe; 60 lin. Feet 30-inch reinforced concrete pipe; 7.9 cubic yards concrete masonry; 590 pounds reinforcing steel; 232 cubic yards class I excavation; 405 cubic yards fill.

The contracts are expected to provide for early completion of the projects, the next contract for primary No. 5 from Cherokee to Aurelia. A call for bids on this is expected at an early letting.

Paving On U.S. No. 59

At the March 2 letting contracts will be awarded for paving U.S. highway No. 59 across Osceola county from the O'Brien county line to the Minnesota state line. This will involve 16,591 miles of paving also necessary culverts.

50 years ago

Cherokee firemen were called out briefly Saturday evening to extinguish a fire which blazed up in a car.

Firemen said the car was owned by Paul Thompson who operates the Dairy Queen. The car caught fire at the Dairy Queen where the man had been doing some painting.

Paint fumes caused by open cans in the vehicle exploded and started the fire which burned most of the interior. It was extinguished without difficulty.

Four Washington High school speech contestants received Division I ratings at the district contest held in LeMars Saturday.

Receiving I ratings were Terry Gustafson and John Rupp in radio speaking; Ann Wiemers, dramatic declamation and Pat Janssen, interpretive prose.

The four competitors now advance to the state contest which will be held in Fort Dodge March 24 and 25.

Miss Judy Hodoway, English and speech instructor at Washington, said many more students were eliminated at the contest because no preliminary contest was held.

A total of 11 students represented Washington High at the district meet. Others attending were: Connie Hayden, dramatic declamation; Linda Barnes, Nancy Koser, interpretative poetry; Pat Young and Carol Brown, interpretive prose; Alana Grawburg, extemporaneous speaking; Jan Knight, humorous declam.

Miss Alice Timmins, secretary of the Chamber of Commerce, has been reappointed volunteer farm representative for the Iowa State Employment Service in the Cherokee community.

Miss Timmins has accepted appointment, according to Rex Whitney, Farm Placement Representative of the Storm Lake office. Miss Timmins serves on a voluntary basis and considers the volunteer appointment as another way in which she can help the people of the Cherokee community.

Miss Timmins has served very capably for several years and will be glad to have persons looking for farm work or farm workers contact her. If she can't help them right way, Miss Timmins contacts the Employment Service and between Miss Timmins' efforts and the Employment Service, many persons can find farm work or farm workers.

25 years ago

Demolition of a chunk of Cherokee County's law enforcement history began Monday.

On Monday, a crew from the county road department began tearing down the building which once served as a jail for prisoners and, at the same time, a home for county sheriffs.

The building is next to the county courthouse, and to misquote Elvis Presley, is suffering from jailhouse rot.

About a year ago, the county decided to tear down the structure because of its poor condition. The demolition is being done now because the costs can be covered with Federal Revenue Sharing money.

Besides being in bad shape, the building is costing the county a few grand a year in liability insurance.

Supervisor Jack Foresman said the building's heating system is shot and inside walls are cracking.

"It was a good building, but it's deteriorated," Foresman said.

The county began using the house as a county jail on May 9, 1941.

The building has served as temporary lodging for a lot of prisoners, and a home for several sheriffs, including Dan Phipps, Carl Schleef and Bud Stroud.

Phipps and Schleef are deceased. Stroud is still sheriff but is no longer living in the house.

Stroud, his wife Doris and daughter Pam moved into the house on Nov. 11, 1967. On Nov. 11, 1983, exactly 16 years later, the Strouds moved out, after the house's utility bills became too high for the county to handle.

Sheriff's house - Pictured is the former Cherokee County Sheriff's house prior to its demolition.
Stroud said he had a lot of fond memories of the house, but was not too upset to see it being demolished.

"It's had its life. It performed what it was put up there for," Stroud said.

To realize what it was like to live in the house-jail, you have to realize the building's lay-out.

The main jail cells were in the back of the building, right off the kitchen. In the basement there were other smaller cells. Juvenile prisoners were housed in upstairs cells, next to the master bedroom.

The house was often alive with the sounds of prisoners.

"We had a lot of sleepless nights there. Sometimes we had 10 to 12 prisoners in there at one time," Stroud said.

The jail's prisoners ate food prepared by Stroud's wife. Occasionally, the Strouds shared their dinner table with juvenile offenders.

Though they were often living with people who had, in one way or another, broken the law, living in the house was never a source of fear for Stroud's wife or daughter.

"They're just good, strong people. I raised a real nice girl in that jail," Stroud said.

"I never was scared any time I was living there, and I don't think my daughter ever was, either," said Doris Stroud.

Stroud and his wife have a lot of stories about living in the house.

The youngest inmate in the jail was a four month-old baby. The baby belonged to a runaway juvenile from Pennsylvania, who, along with a juvenile male, were picked up by the Iowa State Patrol and brought to the county jail. While waiting to be picked up by her father, the girl and her baby stayed in a juvenile cell. Stroud got up at night and prepared the baby's formula.

Another time, Stroud's wife and daughter decided to prepare pancakes and eggs for several high school and college students who were being jailed.

"Those boys, I think there were five of them, ate 74 pancakes and at least 80 eggs," Stroud said.

"After we were done, my daughter said, 'Mom, this was not a good idea. We're not going to do this again,'" Doris Stroud said.

The jail had to be manned at all time. During 12 of the years they lived there, the Strouds never took a vacation. They were rarely able to go anywhere as a family.

Once they were able to attend a church function together, but the outing did not last long.

The old jail had an emergency button, which prisoners could push if help was needed. While at the church function, Stroud got word that the button had been hit by an orange that the prisoners were using as a basketball.

For a brief time the county jail housed a young man who had been sentenced to a state prison. After the man was transferred, his mother brought Stroud's wife a large afghan she had made. The afghan was a gift for the care her son had received in the county jail, Stroud said.

Not all the stories, however, have a happy or humorous angle.

A few times, prisoners tried to hang themselves in their cells. As a precaution, Stroud kept a sharp knife in a closet near the cells. More than once, Stroud had to grab the knife and cut a prisoner loose from a makeshift noose.

In another situation, Stroud was working in the garage when a prisoner armed with a gun entered and threatened to kill him. Stroud rushed the prisoner and a nasty fight ensued. His wife called for help, and by the time police arrived, Stroud had knocked the prisoner down three times and had him pinned between a freezer and the wall.

"You never really knew what was going to happen in that place," Stroud aid.

Raising a daughter in a house full of prisoners was never difficult, Stroud said. In fact, the only problem Stroud had raising a daughter in a jailhouse, was the same problem people living in regular homes have: The teenager on the telephone. Stroud's home phone was also the sheriff's department phone. To keep the line free, Stroud eventually had to have a teen line installed for his daughter.

In 1977, the county jail was closed after it was ruled inadequate under new state and federal regulations. From 1977 to 1983, when the Cherokee Law Enforcement Center opened, prisoners were taken to the jail in Storm Lake.

County Supervisor Jack Foresman said the county will salvage and sell as much material from the building as possible. Salvaged material will be sold at a yet to be scheduled auction. Among the items already salvaged are several steel jail doors.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: