[Masthead] Overcast ~ 31°F  
Winter Storm Warning
Sunday, Nov. 29, 2015

Times Gone By

Friday, June 15, 2012

100 years ago

Diamond township was the scene of considerable excitement Saturday night when it was found that horse thieves had been at work. T. L. Kenyon is the owner of the animal they attempted to take, and they would have been successful had the animal been broken to drive single.

The animal is a large one of the draft pattern and being young was attractive and unbroken for single use and when the horse had been taken from the pasture they could not get him to go and it seems could not get him hitched to their rig, consequently they had to let him go. As is liable to happen under such circumstances the leader of the trio was not in good humor and when the younger member of the party, who is but a boy, refused to go to Norstrom's, a neighbor's place near by and steal another horse, he was promptly whipped by the leader and not allowed to ride.

Instead of following the rig he then went to T. L. Kenyon's and told of the attempted steal. Mr. Kenyon called the officers at once with the result that the men are now in the county jail. They were brought into Justice Green's court this morning and the older men bound over to the district court under a $1,000.00 bond which they were not able to furnish. The boy will have his hearing tomorrow and will probably be released.

The steal took place between ten and eleven o'clock Saturday night and they were caught Sunday morning near Mt. Olive at five o'clock. When the officers arrived at Kenyon's they formed two parties, W. P. McCulla, H. H. Williams and John Lundquist going east and Fred Melter, Deputy Sheriff Hill and T. L. Kenyon made up the party who went west and found the parties.

Dell Parks, the leader, appears to have his residence at large most of the time, the second member, John Brant, given his home as Mitchell, S.D. Steven Owens, the boy, is an Austrian and has been in this county about eight years. Park claims to come from near Des Moines and was on his way to South Dakota and near Guthrie Center claims to have picked up the boy while Brant joined them near Storm Lake. Parks looks to be a hardened criminal and the authorities think they have seen him here before, the other two look like amateurs and were probably anxious to sow a few wild oats. It is that the horse they were driving had been stolen and they were anxious to make a change as the animal was badly jaded. The two men, Parks and Brant, agreed to enter a plea of guilty and as soon as a judge comes they will be sent to the penitentiary.

Saturday morning Miss Emily Leach awakened suddenly at about 3 o'clock and stared at what appeared to be a lighted match being held at her chamber window. She rose slightly and the light disappeared, steps being heard plainly on the outside. She with some difficulty aroused her sister, Lois, and the two girls went down stairs to investigate.

Miss Lois became faint from the fright and the sudden awakening and Miss Emily had to work over her with camphor and cold water to prevent her from losing consciousness entirely. Strenuous efforts were made to rouse central by telephone but all seemed dead at the central office.

The girls were too thoroughly frightened to remain in the house until daylight so made a dash to the P.S. Naden home. Upon investigation next morning it was found that a ladder belonging to the Leaches had been used by the miscreant to climb to the top of the porch and drippings from a tallow candle were found on the window sill. Judging by the incidents it is thought to be the work of Onawa's professional "window peeper," who has enjoyed a reputation for doing this sort of work for years.

There have been threats made by many as to the fate that would befall this individual if caught at his seemingly nightly vocation and it is safe to say that there would be little sympathy manifested for him if he should meet with some severe punishment. If as we believe he alleges he is afflicted with an incurable mania for this night prowling we would suggest that a course of treatment at Cherokee might prove beneficial.

75 years ago

After 16 years in the newspaper business in Cherokee, Paul H. Caswell, managing editor and co-publisher of the Cherokee Daily Times and Cherokee (weekly) Chief, is leaving this city July 1 to accept a position on the executive staff of the Iowa City Press-Citizen. He becomes a member of the Merritt C. Speidel organization, which publishes outstanding daily newspapers in such cities as Chillicothe, Ohio; Salina, Calif.; Iowa City, Iowa; and Ft. Collins, Colo.

Mr. Caswell retains his interest in The Times Publishing Co., Inc. and Times Printing Co., Inc. and there will be no change in policy or personnel of these two institutions at this time. Justin Barry will continue as business manager and editor. Mrs. Caswell and three children will probably remain here until opening of the fall term of school.

The Iowa City Press-Citizen recently celebrated formal opening of its new $200,000 building and plant with the publication of a 92-page newspaper. The edifice is unique in construction and design, embodying the most modern furnishings and equipment.

Started as "Devil"

The newspaper experience of Mr. Caswell dates back to his early boyhood when he was a "devil" in his father's newspaper, The Bulletin, at Denison, Iowa. He served his apprenticeship there, graduated from Denison high school and studied at the Intertype Corp, Chicago. He then continued in his father's employ until he matriculated at the University of Iowa the fall of 1914.

While at the university he was employed on the Iowa City Press-Citizen, and Ecoriomy Printing Co., also on the Iowa Homestead, Des Moines. He is a member of Sigma Delta Chi, honorary national journalists fraternity.

At the time the United States entered the war Caswell enlisted at Ft. Snelling officer's training camp. He was married that fall to Miss Charmion Holbert of Greeley, Iowa, and then stationed at Ft. D. A. Russell, Cheyenne, with the 1st U.S. cavalry. He later transferred to the 15th U.S. cavalry for overseas duty, serving in France for 14 months as remount officer.

Came Here in '21

Following his discharge in 1919 he became managing editor of the Ames Daily Tribune and in 1921 with his brother, Carl, purchased the former Cherokee Semi-Weekly Democrat from W. P. (Dad) Goldie. They operated that newspaper successfully until 1928 when they consolidated with the Evening Times, published by Justin Barry. From 1928 to the present time both The Daily Times and Weekly Chief have prospered and grown.

Active Citizen

Mr. Caswell is a past president of the Cherokee Chamber of Commerce and still a member of its board of directors. He has been active in many social and civic organizations here, and at the present time is also a member of the board of education, member of the Country Club board and a Rotarian. He is a past adjutant and past commander of Treptow Post 230, American Legion.

Hundreds of spectators Saturday at municipal airport watched Iowa Good Will air tour planes perform.

Although most of the fleet of nearly 40 ships was grounded at Council Bluffs where a heavy storm prevented takeoff on a muddy field several were able to continue to Cherokee on schedule.

Highly Successful

"A highly successful air show," was George C. Mantor's opinion Monday on behalf of the Chamber of Commerce which brought the planes here.

"Many were here from long distances, attracted by this unique opportunity," said Mantor, "and few were disappointed because the entire fleet was unable to come.

"Some visitors were surprised that there was no thrilling stunt-flying but this was not a part of the show. The flight over Iowa was sponsored by air enthusiasts, Chambers of Commerce and the aeronautics division of the United States department of commerce and was designed to promote greater interest in aviation among the people of this state and to illustrate to them the great safety of the modern airplane."

That people of this section have great faith in the safety of planes piloted by competent flyers was evidenced in the numbers of visitors that paid to go for a ride in the different ships.

Fifteen planes were here representing every class of air transportation from the little Ford V-8 monoplane to the big transport ships. The tour was financed by a $50 contribution from each town visited and proceeds of rides at each town.

50 years ago

Both rural and urban people in Iowa are recognizing the many benefits to be derived from the small watershed projects, says Harvey Lindberg of the Soil conservation Service.

For example, Lindberg says, in the Fee Watershed as many as 100 people have used the John Hodgdon farm lake for summer fishing and picnicking and for duck hunting in the winter. After being stocked with fish for several years it is producing good fishing.

Six of the seven completed watersheds in the Cherokee Soil Conservation District have farm ponds of sufficient size to produce fish and all have been stocked.

In addition to these, many cooperating landowners have built structures with cost sharing assistance under the ACP Program, 33 of these have been stocked with fish to date.

Recreation is becoming more and more a factor because people have more leisure time as a result of shorter work weeks. Districts have recognized this and are taking steps to make recreational aspects a part of the district program.

Districts are encouraging wildlife plantings in odd areas of farms and also the reforestation of areas not suitable for agriculture. These areas will provide wildlife with a good home and assure the hunter of having a little better luck when he takes to the field.

Switching Patterns

The agriculture pattern is changing rapidly and with this change the role of soil conservation districts will change. However, the main objective of the Cherokee District will continue to be that of combating all types of erosion.

As a result a better land use program will emerge. Proper use of our land and water resources will also enhance all recreation by having cleaner streams and lakes, more cover for wildlife, and a better life for all people.

There's no one plan you must follow in order to conserve soil and water on your farm.

Rather, says Harvey Lindberg, local SCS technician, a good farm plan is a combination of your soil capabilities and your production goals.

He says the rule-of-thumb is as simple as this: "The more serious your erosion problem, and the more intensive you use row crops, the more you will need to use mechanical soil conservation practices such as terracing, contouring or grassed waterways."

As an example, Lindberg says that a Galva soil, with moderate erosion, a 6 percent slope and a 300 foot slope length can be treated in any of the following ways:

* If terracing is used, erosion can be held within safe limits with an intensive corn rotation.

* Using contouring alone a rotation of two years corn, one year oats and two years meadow will do the job.

* Use no mechanical practices and you can safely grow one year corn, one year oats and three years meadow in rotation.

Lindberg says that any of the above combinations are equally effective in controlling erosion. The rotation-mechanical conservation practice combination you would choose depends on your goal--whether you want a high intensity of grain production or a high intensity of forage production.

25 years ago

The banner is up above Quimby Main Street announcing the Centennial celebration on June 26-28 and committees are stepping up momentum to get in order the activities planned for the observance of the town's first 100 years.

When the area was occupied by pioneers, experiences were new and situations were constantly changing. The gently rolling hills still abound and the lush prairies have been turned many times to provide a harvest for men and livestock. Experiences have been passed on for generations. But the railroad, directly responsible for the town's being, is no longer a familiar sight and sound.

In 1870, a railroad line connected Sioux City to Iowa Falls. The road passed through Aurelia, Cherokee, Meriden and Marcus, but a north and south road was still needed to link the county more closely together. A new road was started to Onawa in 1887 and it was decided that two stations were needed in the southern part of the county. Quimby was one of the towns started.

The buildings of DeLeon, a small village on Silver Creek, were brought to the present site.

In an excerpt from "Genealogical History of the Quimby Family in England and America," Vol. I by Henry Cole Quimby, published in 1915, the author wrote: "Quimby, Iowa, is a postoffice and village of about four hundred inhabitants, established in 1888 and named for Flavius W. Quimby, then Division Superintendent of the Illinois Central R.R."

It was on Sept. 8, 1887, the official name of the new town was announced; the town was platted Oct. 3, and on Nov. 30, the Post Office was established.

In an early day newspaper account, a citizen of Willow was quoted as saying Quimby was not rightfully named. It should be called "Quinquay." "Quinquay" is Latin for Fifth City and Quimby was the fifth town in the county.

By the early 1900, many accounts were written about the progress and resources of the town, which was still in its infancy. A Mr. J.F. Cooley in December, 1896, had compiled a handbook available to its readers for 10 cents a copy.

"While Quimby is not a large town it is doubtless one of the nicest and one of the most prosperous places the writer has ever visited, and we believe there is hardly a more desirable place in the state to locate in," the author wrote.

"The people here are a quiet, well-behaved, sober, industrious, law-abiding set of citizens, having a high regard for purity in the home, in society, in the church and in the busy marts of trade."

From reliable statistics the writer gathers the information that the density of the population in Northwestern Iowa will not exceed 18 to the square mile. By comparing this with other states the reader can arrive at an intelligent conclusion as to the density of population of Northwestern Iowa. Massachusetts, for instance, has a population of 214 to the square mile; New York, 102; Pennsylvania, 94; Ohio, 77; Indiana, 28; Illinois, 54; Michigan, 26; and Iowa as a whole, 28.

Quimby was provided with educational advantages as well as commercial resources and social privileges. Three of the leading religious denominations of the time were represented; the United Presbyterian, the Methodist Episcopal and the Christian. 100 years later, religious faith still plays a dominant role in the lives of the townspeople and community. Today there are four churches, the United Methodist, Pilgrim Lutheran, St. John Catholic and Baptist.

Cooley gave the following industrial review of businesses in the thriving new town:

"The Citizens' Bank which was established in 1891, transacts a general banking business. While the bank is not incorporated it is backed up by an individual responsibility of over $150,000 and its owners are among the most prosperous and most substantial business financiers in this part of the state. J.H. Groves, proprietor, is also vice-president of the Cherokee State Bank and owns a large amount of farm property in this county.

"A.J. Shaul, prescription druggist who has made the profession of compounding and dispensing medicines a study for 10 years. He carries an immense stock of general merchandise. Mr. Shaul is also associated with A.J. Stanford in a local creamery enterprise, the future of which is very bright.

"J. & W.C. Shull, owners of the pioneer lumber yard, are heavy dealers in lumber, lime, cement, stucco, plastering material, brick stone, lath, shingles, sash blinds, storm and screen doors and windows, building paper of all kinds.

"J.H. Sellers, exclusive dealer in all kinds of hardware and harness. One of the oldest settlers in the county, he was successfully engaged in farming for many years.

"S.A. Gilmore, popular merchant, carries a complete stock of dry goods, furnishing goods, boots and shoes, and deals extensively in groceries, fruits, provisions, tobacco, cigars, crockery and glassware. He makes a specialty of taking county produce in exchange for goods.

"Tim Murphy, practical blacksmith and machinist.

"The View, the local newspaper, published by W.S. Steel. He is also publisher of the Teachers' Aid, a bi-monthly school journal which has gained considerable prominence.

"The Quimby House, kept by Mr. W. M. Barnes, is a good hotel and the travelers who visit the town need not go away hungry. Rates are $1.00 per day.

"F.F. Leonard, owner of the largest store in town and deals extensively in furniture and farm machinery.

"C.J. Draper, proprietor of the city meat market, deals extensively in all kinds of fresh and cured meats, poultry, game, fish, lard and pays cash for livestock, hides and tallow.

"P. McGregor, M.D., D.S.S., physician and surgeon located in Quimby and native of Michigan. Also has thorough knowledge of dentistry in which he also practices.

"Dr. L.S. Brewer, physician and surgeon.

"Tim Sargent, blacksmith and machinest.

"A.R. Hubbard, exclusive livestock buyer.

"There are two barbers in Quimby. Business lots can be bought at from $100 to $300 and residence lots at from $50 to $100.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: