[Masthead] Light Drizzle ~ 47°F  
High: 54°F ~ Low: 42°F
Sunday, May 1, 2016

Times Gone By

Friday, August 17, 2012

100 years ago

Jacob Johannsen, who was taken to the hospital at Heron Lake last week for an operation to relieve trouble which was caused by his drinking some sort of a cleaning solution several weeks ago passed away there Sunday morning. The body was brought home Monday evening and the funeral held Wednesday.

Mr. Johannsen's illness was occasioned by a swallow of some kind of lye solution, which he took from a jug which he thought contained whiskey. It happened during the night of June 25 when with Allie Jenson he was returning from Melvin. A short distance north of Primghar they stopped and took a swig from a jug but it turned out that the stuff was not liquor. They were found next morning and Mr. Johannsen was in a serious condition. Just how they came by the jug has never been cleared up satisfactorily, one story being to the thought that they got it at Melvin and the other that is was put into their auto at Sanborn in place of a jug of whiskey which was taken out. However it may have found its way into the auto it has turned out that it caused the death of a man.

The afflicted man was brought home and has been ill ever since. It was thought for a time that he was getting better but recently he grew worse and had to be taken away for an operation. One physician explained that the lye, or whatever it was, ate away the lining of a portion of the intestine and the outer walls then grew together, causing a stoppage.

The inevitable has happened, for some time there has been a number of children who full of energy and the spirit of adventure, have been running in front of autos and vehicles, just to see how close they could go without getting hit. This time whether he was trying to see how close he could get or whether he did not notice the car was so close we do not know, but Lawrence, the seven-year-old son of L. M. Gunstead was struck by the car and run over. A doctor was called and was soon in attendance and found the boys shoulder had been dislocated and badly crushed. He was also bruised about the abdomen but up to this time the attending physician has not been able to discover any internal injuries, though some may be there. The accident happened on Sunday evening.

Bystanders who saw the accident say it was not the drivers fault in the least, as the car had gone but ten rods from the starting pint and was in the intermediate gear and going slow. It appears two boys were crossing the bridge on east Maple Street and were at the side when the car was quite close, and just before the car reached them they started to cross ahead of the machine. One boy was quick enough to get out of the way and while the driver might have dodged the Gunstead boy he would have had to hit the other and they did not attempt to cross until he was too close to stop.

The injured boy is getting the best of care and if there are no internal injuries will probably recover, though he is almost sure to have a stiff shoulder. Whether it was this boys daring that caused the trouble or not it should be a warning to parents to watch their children and make them desist from taking chances.

75 years ago

A cloudburst, accompanied by high wind, a severe electrical storm and some hail, swept fiercely over Cherokee county Wednesday night leaving in its wake considerable damage to property.

Creeks and rivers overflowed, inundating low-lying sectors, yards and basements were flooded, some corn was reported damaged by hail and wind, roads and fences were washed out and lightning struck at least two places.

A large horse barn at the Cherokee Livestock Auction company on Highway 59 South of here was demolished when it was picked up by a blast of wind and hurled eight feet into the air on top of a stock yards section. The stock pen section in the northwest part of the yards was badly damaged. Debris was scattered about over the section.

Railroad creek here, within an hour after the storm, swept over its banks. On North Second street, a concrete highway bridge dammed up the flood waters, causing the creek to overflow that sector and floor yards and basements. The waters poured down Linn street, North Second, North First, Cherry and Cedar streets and flowed in a heavy stream down Linn, through the Illinois Central overpass and bridges in that area were submerged for nearly an hour. Water poured into the basement and first floor of the McFarland garbage at the corner of Cherry and North Second street. The home of Ivan Golded, 217 North Second was surrounded by water and the basement was flooded. His gasoline station next door also was surrounded.

Across the street the new Standard oil station being constructed by Dale Rasmus, was flooded and his house basement next door was full of water.

The sector near East Cedar street close to Railroad creek was partially inundated and many persons had difficulty in getting to their homes. Jim Graves and aides with the help or residents opened a storm sewer on N. Second and the water, cleared away quickly.

Lightning struck a hog house on the George Coburn farm near Aurelia between 7:30 and 8 o'clock setting it on fire. It burned to the ground before aid could be brought. There was no stock in the building, but it was full of fuel. A corn crib and grainary filled with oats also caught fire. The Aurelia fire department worked to save other buildings when they saw the fire was beyond their control. The damage was unestimated Thursday morning.

Sixty percent of the corn crop near Meriden was reported damaged by hail and wind.

Other reports from Meriden said it was possible the corn might straighten later and the loss not be so serious.

Wescott park in Cherokee was a lake in many places and a number of campers were forced to flee to safety. Water poured down from surrounding hills and filled depressions in the park to a depth of nearly three feet.

The Little Sioux River steadily rose and Thursday morning was out of its banks at the park in some places. The dikes system, however, was believed to be adequate to protect the park from a serious flood, park board officials declared even though the river may rise several more inches during the day.

Commencing shortly after 6 o'clock Wednesday night, the storm roared ominously out of the northwest. For two hours the downpour continued then slackened and rained steadily until nearly 11 o'clock.

Cars were stalled in streets as water swept in over engines and garagemen were busy most of the night answering emergency calls. Water stood three feet deep in front of Main's grocery on North Second Street as Railroad creek overflowed and the underpass on Highway 59 south of Cherokee was impassable when five feet of water gathered in the depression beneath it. A huge army truck owned by the county was submerged beneath the water.

A large tree on the Frank Andrews corner at Fifth and Locust streets was uprooted and a section of sidewalk torn out. The property is owned by Charles Jenkins. A huge limb was torn from a tree near Deputy Sheriff Dan E. Danielson's home at Seventh and Willow, and thrown across the street intersection. Limbs were down in all parts of the city Thursday.

An iron grating across a gutter at Main and Fifth street was washed across the street by a swirling torrent.

A washout at Oyens northeast of here caused a washout on the Illinois Central railroad and delayed an hour and the trains from the west Thursday morning. It was rerouted through Sheldon. Officials here said all trains were late but would be on schedule by evening. Many washouts along the line were responsible, they said.

The Northwestern Bell telephone company here reported great damage to its lines in town. All the telephones at the court house were out of order Thursday morning and crews of linemen and repairmen were working in shirts to repair leaks, shorts and broken wires. Service was expected to be restored to most places by evening.

Highways were washed out in many places, the Iowa commission here reported, but no serious damage was done. Gravelled roads were badly washed. Other roads were completely impassable, Highway crews of both the county and state were busy Thursday repairing damages.

No serious trouble was reported by the Iowa Public Service company. Lights flickered but service was not materially interrupted.

Gardens in town were washed out.

Several large trees at the State hospital were blown down but little other damages was reported.

Two bridges at the Country club were washed out; fairways and greens were damaged by debris that washed down over hills.

Meriden was deluged with rain and considerable hail during an electrical storm. Corn was flattened and unestimated damage down.

The Maple river overflowed its banks northwest of Aurelia. A road near the river was under water for two miles east and north. The river was reported still rising.

Correctionville reported three feet of water standing on the main highway after between four and five inches of rain had fallen.

Lightning struck the home of M. A. Garvin at Marcus and burned out a radio and electrical wiring. It also tore a hole in the roof. Three or four inches of rain was reported. Many trees and limbs were said to be down.

Rain and some hail hit the Cleghorn vicinity, washing fences, roads and fields. Corn was damaged extensively, it was said.

A drainage ditch at Quimby overflowed and inundated yards and basements in the vicinity. Homes affected were Miss Julia Drake, L. N. Leonard, W. a. Simmons, Mrs. Elizabeth Van Sickle, Mrs. Fanny Lickiss, F. M. Lint. Their homes and yards were surrounded by water and their basements flooded. Gardens were also washed out and corn near the town was said to have been hurt.

At Washta, more than two inches of rain fell, fences and bridges were washed out and a creek overflowed into yards and basements. An electrical storm struck but there was little wind and no hail was reported. The river near Quimby and Washta was very high and rising rapidly.

Larrabee reported a small amount of hail, much rain and a heavy display of lightning. No serious damage was reported.

50 years ago

According to a report from the city police department, accidents within the city limits for the first six months of this year have increased slightly in comparison with 1961.

However, the report shows that less injuries occurred and no fatalities have occurred. There was one traffic death during the first six months of 1961.

Figures show there were 143 accidents this year during this six-month period compared with 121 in the first half of 1961.

There were 12 injuries in 1961 and nine recorded through June of this year.

Railroad Creek, which runs through Cherokee, is normally a shallow little stream, but during the flood of 1965, it almost reached the bottom of the bridges that cover it.
Iowa Highway Patrol headquarters for District Five, which is located here, reported that 22 fatalities have occurred in this district this year compared to 18 at this time last year.

District Five covers an area which included Plymouth, Cherokee, Buena Vista, Sac, Ida and Woodbury Counties.

Thus far, District Five officers have covered 289 accidents. Of this number there have been 174 injuries resulting from accidents.

Highway patrol officials urge that everyone driving on rural roads exercise special caution now as tall corn will narrow vision at rural intersections.

The officials said the next two months will be the worst period for this type of accident. Motorists should be extremely careful during this time of the year.

25 years ago

The Cherokee School Board passed the first reading of a policy establishing a citizen's advisory committee Monday night.

Superintendent Mick Starcevich said he has already received about half a dozen applications for the committee. Application forms are available at the school administration center and at Cherokee banks.

The committee will be chosen from application s at the next board meeting and it is designed to study educational concerns of the district and report findings and recommendations to the board. It will be made up of a cross section of the community and of community, students and staff.

The board also approved several contracts.

Diane Lockhart will coach the boys and girls cross country teams for $822 or $1,121 if 20 or more students participate. She is a third grade teacher in the system. Roosevelt aide Elizabeth Smith resigned her position. She will be replaced by Connie Olsen and Olsen will be replaced by Saundra Hensley. Hansley's position will work mornings. Diane Jolly was also hired by the district as an aide EMH at Wilson Middle School. Jolly and Hensley will make $4.25 an hour.

Blue Bunny will supply the school's milk at 11.9 cents per half-pint of 2 percent milk and 12/9 cents for homogenized milk. The milk bids were about a third of a cent higher than last year.

Bids for bread went to Hy-Vee with hamburger buns costing 50 cents a dozen, coney buns 55 cents a dozen and loaf bread 33 cents a pound. The bun bids were about 4 cents higher than last year. The school provides its own flour to the Hy-Vee bakery, Starcevich said.

In other reports, there are 117 kindergarteners in the Cherokee schools this year. It is the oldest class of kindergarteners ever, averaging 5.8 years old.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: