On Saturday, Sept. 29 the 11th Annual Fall Family Fest will be held at the Historic Cherokee Railroad Depot located at 119 South Fourth Street from 10:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
You are invited to start the day with the organizers of the event at a free coffee at the Annual Fall Family Fest Bake Sale at 10:30 a.m. The perfect time to purchase some great homemade treats.
This year's Fall Family Fest will once again feature a Baking contest. There are new guidelines this year. If you wish to donate your entry to the bake sale please place your item in a disposable pan. All other entries can be picked up after 2 p.m. and before 4 p.m.
* All entries will fall under two category "sweet" or "savory".
* All baked goods for contest entry must be to the Depot, South Room, no later than 12 noon on Saturday, September 29, 2012. You will be required to sign in and register your entry. At that time your entry will be given a number and the judges will not be aware of the maker of any entry.
* Judging of the entries will be done at 1 p.m.
* Please provide one copy of your recipe with each entry.
* Prizes will be given for first, second and third place in both the "sweet" and the "savory" category.
All recipes will be judged on taste, texture, originality and presentation.
Also the Fall Family Fest will be holding a Photography Contest, guidelines are as follows:
* The contest is open to people of all ages.
* Each entrant may enter one or two photos.
* The photos should depict some aspect of Fall or Autumn in Cherokee and/or Northwest Iowa.
* The photos may have been taken in this or any prior year as long as it is the Fall season.
* The photos must have no bends or folds so they can be safely mounted with mounting corners on a wall.
* Photos can be rejected for any reason.
* Photos are to be 8" x 10" or 8" x 12".
* Photos are to be in color.
* Each photo is to be labeled with the name, address, and phone number of the photographer on the reverse side.
* All photos should be unframed and unmatted on standard glossy or matte photo paper. A small border is acceptable if desired.
* Photos are to be brought to the Cherokee Depot (call ahead at telephone 712-229-9502) no later than Wednesday, September 26, 2012 so they can be judged in advance of the festival and displayed on the wall the day of the festival along with indication of how well the photos placed in the contest.
* Photographers may pick up their photographs during the first week after the festival.
Depot Renovation, Inc. will have non-cash prizes for the winners of first place, second place, third place, and people's choice.
All entrants are welcome.
Other activities at this year's Fall Family Fest will be the Little Sioux Valley Model Railroad open and operating from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m.
There will be games and activities for the kids from 10:30 a.m. until 4 p.m. along with a little train ride and face painting and Magic act by Cletus Henke.
There will be an art display by area artists along with a children's coloring contest and art projects all day.
Judy Miller will be presenting a rope-making presentation from 10:30 a.m. and local musicians will provide music.
Lunch will be served from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and for just $3 you can get a tavern or hot dog with chips and a drink.
If all that activity was not enough for you, there will also be a farmers market held from 10:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
All funds raised go to the Depot Renovation, Inc. for ongoing maintenance and projects and the Historic Depot.
For more information on this great family event call Jim Adamson at 229-9502.