Iowa State University Extension and Outreach, along with Western Iowa Tech Community College and Hy-Vee, are thinking spring is just around the corner. The Feb. 6, Learning with Lunch will be a program by Master Gardener, Duane Kent. The program is titled "Perennials for the Shade."
Simple guidelines can be used when designing and planting any perennial garden:
* Define your area.
* Choose plants that will tolerate existing soil conditions, especially when planting around tree roots.
* Call Iowa One Call
* Place largest-maturing plants in back or center of beds.
* Space plants liberally allowing plenty of room to grow.
* Create interest.
* Repeat colors, shapes and textures.
* Consider optimum viewing times.
* Consider planting for a continually changing display.
* Plan for maintenance.
* And most of all, take time to enjoy the results.
Join Duane Kent for just the right information to help you discover that perennials for shade are so much more than Hostas. You will be the envy of the neighborhood.
Cost for the program is $6 per person, which covers the cost of a light lunch. To reserve a seat and lunch, participants must preregister by Tuesday, Feb. 5 by calling the Cherokee County Extension office at 225-6196, or email firstname.lastname@example.org to preregister.
If you would like to know what the topics are for the upcoming months, please give us a call.