American Legion Post No. 230 History
Treptow Post No. 230 began with a meeting and an idea for starting a veteranís club in the early part of 1919. The instigators of the first movement dropped their original plans and decided to apply for charter membership in the new national organization for veteranís called American Legion. This application was made in September of 1919 and granted on October 1,1919 under the name of Treptow Post No. 230. The name taken was that of Martin Treptow, first soldier from Cherokee, to give his life for his country.
The post met in several different places, the first being the City Hall, Armory (now Dennyís Plumbing &Heating & Victory Gym), and G.A.R. rooms , until acquiring permanent quarters of its own on West Main Street in 1949(now the parking lot for County Law Enforcement Center). After selling the building in1976 the Post met in various Cherokee locations. Presently the Post is meeting in the Cherokee Depot.
During the past 100 years Post # 230 has sponsored such things as Junior baseball and basketball, youths to Iowa Boys State, youth center, Boy Scout Troops and Cub Scout Packs, school awards and scholorships, track meets, hospital transportation for veterans, blood donations, district conventions, and Military Rites for deceased veteranís.
During the years of 1927- 1934 the Post maintained a drum corps. This unit competed at State and National Conventions plus participating in local events.
At the inception of the Post there were thirty charter members. Ben Hall was the first commander of Post #230. The Post grew to a total of 238 members. Post #230 currently has two members with 74 years of continuous membership, M Christopherson and LeRoy Lanxon.
One of the most notable members of post 230 was Senator Guy Gillette who served two terms 1933-1945 &1949-1955. As a member of Senate Foreign Relations Committee Senator Gillette was actively involved in creation of the United nations Charter.