26 residents displaced as result of blaze
At 6:44 p.m. Friday, Cherokee firefighters responded to a structure fire at the Timber Ridge Apartments Building C at 410 East Bow Drive in Cherokee, where heavy fire was coming from a first-floor apartment.
The building, which contained 16 apartments, was evacuated, and one person was treated and released for smoke inhalation. Twenty-six people have been displaced by the fire, which fire officials say was likely caused by an electrical cord under a sofa in Apartment C-9.
The Iowa State Fire Marshal’s Office said the cause of the fire was deemed accidental. The sofa in the living room ignited and the fire spread through the living room and out some sliding glass doors and up to the apartment above and the roof. All of the apartments in the building suffered smoke damage, and two, C-9 on the first floor and C-10 on the second floor, had fire and water damage.
Damage to the building is estimated to be around $250,000. The building was turned back over to management at 11:30 p.m. There were no injuries to firefighters.The building is currently unable to be occupied.
The Cherokee Fire and Rescue was assisted at the scene by the Cherokee Regional Medical Center ambulance, Cherokee Police Department, Cherokee County Sheriff’s Department, Cherokee Emergency Management, The American Red Cross, Mid-American Energy, Alliant Energy, the Cherokee Water Department and the Iowa State Fire Marshal’s Office.
Of the 26 people evacuated, 16 are children, and many of them lost all of their belongings, according to an official with the Red Cross.
The Red Cross is assisting with shelter, food and clothing for the 26 people without a home. Mid Sioux Opportunities is accepting donations of food and clothing for the families.
The sizes of the family members are: Men – pants 36/30, shirt XL; women – pants 10-14, top Med-XL; women -11-12; children: girl, 3-4T, boy. 24 months.
Cash donations can be made to the American Red Cross Disaster Fund, 514 Bailey Court, Cherokee, IA 51012.