CHPC recognizes historic Cherokee building Listed in National Registry of Historic Places
The Cherokee Historic Preservation Commission’s (CHPC) initial effort this year to support the National Park Service designation of May as Preservation Month, is to publicize the importance of preserving the built environment for future generations.
The Cherokee Commercial Historic Downtown District is a nationally recognized historic district listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2005. At the time of its nomination, it contained 70 resources, which included 50 contributing buildings and 20 non-contributing buildings.
The historic district covers most of the City’s central business district. Most of the buildings are two and three stories tall, and built of brick. Cherokee is somewhat unusual in that it did not have a devastating fire in its history; therefore, the downtown area was able to grow incrementally.
Owners of three downtown buildings that are listed as contributing to the Cherokee Commercial Historic District recently added plaques that signify those buildings are listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The buildings are located at 427 W. Main St., 206 W. Main St. (former Main Street Pharmacy), and 210-212 W. Main St. (former Fashionette, now Rider Family Dentistry).
The first in the group to be recognized now with a newspaper article and a photo is the building owned by Alyssa A. Herbold at 427 W. Main St.
The Herbold building is Neo-Classical style built in 1935 by W. R. Griffin who was recognized as having erected several fine buildings in Cherokee. This building was consciously blended architecturally with 421-425 West Main St. buildings. The brickwork of green-yellow tint which the detail brick is dark purple in color.
Some previous tenants include Rutherford Appliance (1950’s), Cherokee Appliance (1960’s), Golden Maytag (1965) Lundy’sOffice Equipment (1978), Martin, Wibe and Cozine law offices (1990’s), Martin, Wibe, Cozine and Phillips law office (2002). Now (2021) owned by Phillip & Alyssa Herbold, the home of the law practices of Alyssa A. Herbold PLC and Phillips Law Firm, Kristal L. Phillips.
Two apartments on the second floor have been restored and renovated.
The photograph accompanying this article was taken by CHPC member John Snapp to help CHPC recognize and celebrate the owner of the building for achieving rehabilitation of the exterior and interior ground floor and upper floor.
The recently installed plaque reads: “This property is listed in the NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES by the United States Department of the Interior.”
Historic preservation in Cherokee occurs mostly because of efforts by owners of historic Cherokee buildings. The owners make it possible to save and re-use their historic buildings, so the general public continues to see and appreciate the familiar structures as part of the community landscape.
The CHPC appreciates the special contribution made by owners of historic buildings because we see the need for extra effort to stabilize older buildings in order to save and rehabilitate them for re-use for their original purpose, or for adaptive re-use for some other purpose. Without the extra effort to maintain them, older buildings gradually slip into disrepair. This makes eventual maintenance/repair more expensive and less likely.
Later, in September, the CHPC will partner with Depot Renovation, Inc., the Sanford Museum, the Cherokee Public Library, and the Cherokee Trails Committee to more fully celebrate historic preservation and Cherokee’s history during Cherokee History Week, September 17-26, 2021.